Am I being unrealistic? (ACD in Apartment)

thanushpoulsen

I am looking to get an Australian Cattle Dog, ideally rescue/adopt a 1-2 year old. I am an active 30yo Male, who's grown up with dogs my whole life but this will be the 1st dog that is "mine". I have submitted two applications so far that have both been rejected - because I don't have a backyard or live in a house. I would be grateful for feedback on the below details/plan I have to satisfy the dogs needs, and if I am being unrealistic in my expectations to satisfy the dog:

Living Situation/Work Situation

2 Bed / 1100 sq ft Apartment with my partner and 1 cat (8 years old, very chill)

Off leash area in my complex

Apartment is located next to foothills in WA state, upon hundreds of miles of trails and green space within 10 minutes of me

I work M-F 0630 - 1430, home at 1500, but schedule can change as needed
Partner works fully remote, flexible schedule, and experienced dog owner

Plan for Activity:

I get up at 0430 - 0500, and take the dog on a run for 2 - 3 miles Monday - Friday before I leave for work (I already do this sans dog)

Dog is left with my partner during the day, who can take it on walks around the complex as needed, Potty breaks, socialize with dogs in the off-leash area, etc. Lots of toys to keep dog's mind engaged while in Apartment

When I get home from work, the 3 of us (or just me and dog) will go walk for 3 miles at the local trails/parks/lakes, have training time and toy time. (Chuck it, fetch, swimming in lake, training commands and obedience, etc)

On weekends, we will go to dog parks, hiking trails deeper in the mountains, over to friends houses (who have yards) to socialize with their dogs, go backpacking as summer comes closer and take the dog swimming in rivers/lakes, go snowshoeing / XC ski in Winter

Is this enough to keep an ACD happy and content? I don't live in a house, but I am a very active and outdoors-y person and really want an active dog to be a companion on my adventures. I fell in love with the breed after meeting others and am committed to the fact that they will be high energy and high commitment. It just seems hard to demonstrate that to shelters so far, which has surprised me.

Thank you for your time and honest feedback

EDIT: Wow, you guys are awesome. I didn't expect this many responses and support, I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read and reply. I'm going to read through this all and respond slowly, thank you so much.

@thanushpoulsen As long as they have a human to be with and get some exercise, they seem to stay happy.

Don't be disappointed if they bond with your partner since they'll have the most time together.

@thanushpoulsen You can make your impact on the relationship by mainly doing the feeding and most of all fun activities. Dogs are simple like that. I raised a cattledog splitting all activites 50/50 with my partner and the stronger bond to me is barely noticable.
I think you are ready for the breed just by the amount of thought and dedication you put into it.
Needing a yard or house is a big missconception in my opinion. It helps sure, but it is more important that you actually spend time with the dog and take it out to nature. No yard can make up for hikes.
Just be aware that cattledogs tend to be territorial and can get reactive easily. So you need to socialize with your neighbors and train relaxing in the stairways and all around your apartment from the start.

Edit: I would be careful with dog parks, not a big fan. Many unregulated dogs there, the saying is "it is not a question of if something bad will happen, it is a question of when something bad will happen." I recommend playdates / walks / hikes with known social dogs of family, friends or stranger you meet along the way. 😀

@esdras Good answer. I think requiring people to have a yard then gives some of them the mistaken notion that tossing the dog out into said yard absolves them of any need to give added enrichment. I would often dare perspective/new owners to try sitting out in their own yards for multiple hours a day, no distractions allowed except what's going on around them, and see how bored they become. It's only natural for an intelligent, high energy dog who has been left to their own devices to invent entertainment, like digging, fence running, barking, removing the siding from the house... lol

Op, I would also be very careful about introducing a new Heeler to the cat. Many dogs in the herding lines, and Heelers especially, have very, very high prey drives and are incredibly quick. These guys were initially bred to move stubborn cattle across difficult terrain from sun up to sun down, so it's understandable that they can be relentless. I would keep the situation tightly controlled until I saw how they interacted, and even if it works out, always make absolutely sure that the cat has plenty of places to retreat to that the dog can't reach. And, since I've seen multiple pictures of someone's Heeler on top of the cat tree, that's not suggestible as one of the places.

Edited because words are sometimes hard. lol

@uneze Thank you for the suggestion of the cat. The guest room/office is sort of a sanctuary for our cat, and I think we can keep it that way while we slowly introduce the dog, as well as afterwards as a place of escape. My cat has lived with my partners previous dog (sadly passed away last year, border collie) and has done really well. Different breeds, but hopefully a positive indicator, at least on the cats end.

@thanushpoulsen We have three places our cat can escape to: the bathroom on the first floor— we use one of those plastic things that attaches to the door knob and goes into the strike plate ( link below) We have a tall cat tree and a cat door to the basement where the litter pan and food are stored. The cat is good at standing up for himself. They wrestle a few times a day. It’s good stimulation and exercise for both of them.

Elilier Cat Door Latch Holder,【8... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BR7PQQZN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

@uneze For some reason my dog gets along with some cats and then others he wants to murder. It’s the weirdest thing. I think my cranky old lady cat might have smacked him while I wasn’t looking the first few days. He wanted to go after my parent’s giant Tom cat and he was disinvited from my sister’s house after stalking her new kitten. So, all in all, I’d have to be really careful introducing finding the right cat for the house. I’d probably have to get an older cat with attitude or one that was fostered with other dogs.

@matrha I've always found that if a cat has spunk and pops the dog(s) a couple of times, they're usually a lot less likely to try and go after them. It's the retreaters/runners that create the biggest problems.

@uneze Excellent point about the mentality of tossing them in a yard and not having involvement

And also the cat situation because that drive kicks in sometimes no matter what you say or do.
Mine treats cats just like rabbits
lol no mercy

@siony I got lucky in that mine were perfectly fine with the cat, but they also aren't your standard Heelers. Both of them, one definitely a mix and one appearing to be full breed, are much more geared toward holding down the couch than herding, and the full breed at least is actually even actively scared of cattle. I still had to keep an eye on them when they were extremely excited though. And, as far as they were concerned, our cat in our yard was not the same as our cat outside of the yard, which was fair game to bark at and worry while on the other side of the fence. lol The cat was originally the neighborhood stray and impossible to keep in, but for the most part just liked to hang out and sun herself with the rest of the pack.

@esdras Great points, thank you for your response. I would like to bear as much responsibility for the dogs needs as possible, and having control over things like feeding and fun activities is smart. Not to say my partner can't be the fun one sometimes either :) And noted on the Dog parks. I've seen stuff go down there between other dogs and is definitely a great point, I am leery of other people's lack of involvement and don't want to get in a mess of a situation.

@thanushpoulsen You're not the issue. A lot of rescue programs go way overboard with the requirements. I found my acd on the side of the road and he has a great life in my apartment. Lots of walks, socializing, a cat as well, just like you. I talked with a friend who volunteers and she said I was lucky to find him because she can't give dogs to people without houses. It's criminal. There are some more laxed rescues and I know New Mexico has a ton of cattle dogs in rescues that might be more lenient, although that'd be a hell of a drive! It'll work out, you'll find your buddy for sure. They'll love all the walks! Be sure the cat can get away from them sometimes though lol!

@rabecca Thanks for the response, that makes me feel a bit better. On one hand, I understand they the probably don't want to see the dog go to an ill-living situation and that these breeds seemed to be returned frequently because of owners not being ready for the breed - but it is rough to feel punished that I don't have the income currently to afford a house. I will try being more upfront about my plans to exercise and satisfy the dog. New Mexico is a bit of a drive, but I do have some PTO saved up...

@matrha We don't have any barriers for adoption: bios are just about what the dog would ideally like. Clearly OP is offering a great life. Most shelters in this country are overflowing with dogs and in total crisis mode. You want a dog, fabulous. I wish we could have more barriers, but that's just not the current reality.