Am I being unrealistic? (ACD in Apartment)

@thanushpoulsen My cattle dog has been with me through various stages of my life, and has lived happily in 2 separate apartments during that time.

Personally, as long as you’re putting time into them (and meeting exercise needs) they seem to be happy almost anywhere.

I bought my girl off kijiji. A couple bought her as a puppy and 2 weeks in the boyfriends allergies were so bad they couldn’t keep her. So i got lucky.

On facebook it seems like there are SO many groups with owners desperately trying to rehome their dogs. Id join a few local groups and see what you can find.

@thanushpoulsen My ACD prefers to be by me. So even if the door is open to our yard (and we live in a 3 story house), he’s by my side. They’re loyal. As long as you commit to providing him with attention, exercise, enrichment (puzzles, snuffle mats, lick mats), he’ll be one happy dog.

@thanushpoulsen ACDs have a propensity for reactivity. Some aren’t reactive at all of course, some are only mildly reactive and some more severe. I mention this because most of your plans for exercise might get super screwed with a reactive dog and an apt environment will be challenging. Like having dogs around every corner or potentially getting a noise complaint. Dog parks frequently suck and might be a no go for your dog. You may need more back up plans that involve less crowded or public spaces.

That being said, dogs need homes willing to try and your plans in general are good. I hope you find an org or rescue that can assist in finding a well-fitting dog. Honestly our shelters here (AZ) are probably doing the opposite as they are super over capacity and desperate to adopt out dogs to basically anyone willing. There aren’t much checks even done. 😬

@obadimu Thank you for the heads up, I wouldn't say my complex is dog-dense, but there's definitely others here. I will definitely keep this in mind, and thankfully there are tons of non crowded public spaces around me that we will have no problem finding alternatives.

@obadimu With enough work and awareness of the dog’s personality, reactivity can be a non-issue. My guy can be a jerk at times but I’m fully aware of his body language and situations that push his buttons. There have been times they I’ve literally walked past dog parks because I see unfixed dogs, bigger dogs, or dogs running over to the gate for another dog entering the park. Those are all things my dog hates. So I avoid it.

@matrha That’s true but it’s additional effort to find the right kind of exercise options when your dog has those issues. It’s important to consider that you might not get that easy-going hiking buddy or that dog park dog.

We had our reactive mix in an apt for 10 months. He did fine, but there were a crap ton of other reactive dogs around that would then set him off because he could hear them bark first. Walking for potty around the apt was a minefield. He was able to get his exercise and we could take him on outings as well, but he’s way less stressed and happier in our new home. Has his own yard, less people walking their dogs, and wide waking paths. He can’t hear neighbors coming and going all day. Again, I don’t think shouldn’t get a dog, they may just need alternate plans and to find less traveled trails should that happen, etc. And be prepared to train down any excess barking that might get them in trouble.

@obadimu Honestly, I hadn't considered this as much as I need to. Do you mind sharing what you have done to help train down excessive barking? Thankfully, my apartment backs up to woods, and the entryway is pretty mellow, but there are occasional rowdy children that can be heard riding their bikes outside.