Aggressive puppy advice

@heartfullofchrist I have a 15 month old border collie I got as an 8 week old puppy. He’s fine my two cats. Cats are fine with him. Cleans them, plays, etc. but he’s NEVER alone with them. I trust him but you can’t trust any dog 100%.

I also would never forgive myself if anything happened to my two girls for not paying attention. Your dog is going to kill your cats.

@drihk We got my puppy when she was smaller than the cats. Now she's more than double their weight but she has a very healthy respect for them by now and does fine alone with them. Also important that the cats have spaces where they can get away from her at any time if they want to.

Just saying its not true you can't trust dogs with cats alone. Breed is a huge factor, as well as training/upbringing.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I have a border collie that wasn't raised with cats but he's coexisting with his "kitten brother" nicely now. Said "kitten" is almost 20 lbs now, but even when he was tiny my 45 lb collie was always gentle. I worked him hard from a very young age and he learned how to have a "soft" mouth and strong impulse control. We introduced him to cats slowly starting from age ~1 and a half, eventually practicing having them co-habitate (via roommates, where we agreed to move out if it didn't work out), and then finally adopting a kitten into our family permanently. I think in our case, it was 100% nurture (training and practice) that made it work.

The only time they fight is when there's something really valuable that they both want (but even then, kitty's claws are never out and pupper never actually closes his mouth on him). To reduce the chances of bad blood ever forming between them, we always make sure to not play favourites and to separate them when they eat. Besides that they're like peas in a pod. 🫛

Funny story, on Thanksgiving one year the cat tried to get up onto the counter while the turkey was being prepped (he was standing on a box and had his front paws up on the counter, looking at the food). The dog saw this and silently came over, gently picked him up by the scruff, and plopped him down on the floor. The cat then turned around and slapped him lol, and then the dog turned and looked at my boyfriend who was standing right there, with a look on his face like "did you see what he just did?!?" 😂 He definitely thinks of himself as the nanny/enforcer, but always very gentle. They aren't at the cuddling stage yet but they do both like to climb into our bed and touch their feet together at night.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Agree about breed. I have a border collie and he nips their back legs to get them to move. He’s not as bad as when he was really young but it still happens occasionally. Cats put him in his place

@heartfullofchrist It doesn’t sound like your sister has enough time for this dog. Most of what you posted could be resolved with more training, exercise, and socialization.

But as for the cats. If you fear for their safety then the best thing is to re home and specify that the dog can’t be in a home with cats. When we were looking for a dog to adopt many of the postings had this stipulation so it is not an uncommon one to post. There are plenty of cat free homes out there looking for a dog.

@heartfullofchrist Protect the cats, they were here first! They’re going to get killed by this dog if he stays. Aside from the cat issue, it sounds like he needs a LOT of work that your sister isn’t ready to put in.

@heartfullofchrist Ugh. Do whatever you have to to keep the cats separated and safe from the dog until you can address the human part of this. Are you a minor? If so, do you have parents involved? Tell them that dogs often kill their kitty housemates and this dog is not worth risking the lives of your cats. If you and sis are both adults, can one of you move out?

@alex001 I am not a minor, I am 22 and will be moving in August to go to grad school, taking one of my cats, Dean, with me. I don’t think I can take the others, I will be in a tiny apartment and will need an ESA letter for the cat, I don’t think I can have multiple ESAs, not to mention that the ones I am leaving behind are pretty attached to my parents to the point that I think bringing them with me would really upset him. My sister is also not a minor but due to finances is not able to move out

@heartfullofchrist Is this your parents’ house and are the cats theirs? If so, you need to be brutally honest with them about the danger the cats are in. If your parents live elsewhere, can they take the cats? You need to do whatever you can to get this dog and these cats separated. The thing with the dog and sister is a whole other thing that might or might not work out with training, but this dog is more than big enough to kill these cats. The potential for tragedy just increases as the dog gets older and bigger. It all sounds like an accident waiting to happen, and it can happen in the blink of an eye, a moment of inattention, a gate that fails. It doesn’t make the dog bad, just a typical dog with high prey drive and little training. Since it sounds like no one in your house besides you is very attentive or concerned about the situation or what’s happening with this poor neglected puppy, it’s falling to you to do what you can for the cats. No one here on Reddit can really do anything concrete - only you understand the people and situation well enough to protect these cats.

@heartfullofchrist Well, I’m speaking as an animal lover and the mom of 18 and 20 year olds. If your sister is the dog owner and is unwilling to face what a dangerous situation this is, your parents are going to need to step up. It’s their house. Your sister is a guest or renter but it’s still your parents’ house. They are going to need to issue an ultimatum to your sister, like “you need to place the dog in a rescue or new home within two weeks, or we will be forced to surrender the dog to animal control”. Maybe you can encourage them to do so and find a list of rescues that might take this dog that’s still just a puppy. The puppy has a much better chance of finding and adapting to a good home now, while it’s young. You’ll also be doing this dog a favor by helping it find someone who can really care for it. Is it a pure bred or does it strongly resemble one? If so, breed based rescues will also help. Make sure any rescue or new owner knows that the dog is not good with cats. Best of luck with this situation. Don’t let your parents’ passivity become your solution as well.

@alex001 My parents are working to find her a place to move into but are otherwise too soft on her. I doubt he is a purebreed and not sure if he looks like one, I’m more of a cat person

@heartfullofchrist this dog was not introduced into the household properly. The dog got the chance to train himself that chasing the cats or otherwise acknowledging them is okay- it's a self rewarding behavior.

With the jumping- keep him on a rope at all times. Step on the rope to instantly tether him to the ground and only release and reward when the jumping attempts stop. provide no other interaction during the jumping.

With this lead on the ground you also can step on it when he starts going toward the cats.

@heartfullofchrist You have part of your answer in your post. He came from a neglect situation. Clearly this dog was never taught appropriate behavior, that part is reversible with time and LOTS of patience. You’re correct about the most troubling behavior being his dislike of the cats, because you have multiple cats in your home. I have four dogs that are extremely well trained, and two don’t like cats. Some dogs just don’t unfortunately. Your two options are to keep them separated until you have puppy under control (and then you will STILL need to watch him like a hawk), or rehome puppy with someone willing to take the time necessary to get his behavior under control. He’s not a lost cause by any means, but your dealing with a rambunctious teenager that was not taught manners, and he won’t turn around overnight.
Note, your sister took him from one neglectful situation and brought him into another. He needs proper exercise, and time out of his crate to thrive. Until this changes, his behavior will steadily get worse to the point that he’ll HAVE to be rehomed, then possibly euthanized. How fair is that to this dog?

@heartfullofchrist First of all there is no reason for you to have this dog in your home if he is terrorizing your existing pets. Secondly, neutering will help a lot of these issues, bur you ought to get him to a rescue that will help with all that. I can assure you he is going to grow bigger, and he is going to become more aggressive toward the cats and if you keep this dog in your home there is a chance he will kill at least one of them. This is a very unfair situation for the cats but especially for the puppy.

@heartfullofchrist I think you need as a family the services of a good positive trainer to help with a gradually programme to help the dog settle and you need to baby gate a dog area and a cat area with lots of spaces the cat can retreat into

Everyone needs to agree to this or the cats need to be moved into their own safe space until you have had a chance to work with a trainer. This can take months with this dog. It really needs time

I would work with consent based handling to gradually train this dog to wear a muzzle. This will help with management

Your sister but also I am afraid the whole family need to agree on a way forward with everyone working on it

Getting a health check on the dog is very good thing too

Strongest advice is safe area for cats and baby gates though... now!

@heartfullofchrist Also love the litter box to the area where the cats are. I’m sorry you have to deal with this. It must be incredibly frustrating. You need to have a serious talk with your sister. If she can’t make time to care for the dog someone is going to get hurt possibly your parents and most likely kill cats!