Advise for l having puppy at home for a weekend

joshteo

Hoping for some extra advise on leaving our puppy at home when e leave town. Due to a family emergency my and my husband have to leave the state for 3 days, but we can't bring our puppy with us, both because of the situation and because of the travel (we have to take a flight and don't want a puppy by himself in the carrier). He's 4.5 months old and still has some trouble being at home without us.

So far the plan is to leave him at home and have a friend stay the weekend with him. They've met several times and our puppy likes him a lot, plus he has experience with Australian shepherds (ours is an Australian shepherd/corgi mix). He has instructions on our puppy's usual schedule and habits, plus we're prepping some brain stimulus for him (several puzzles, lick mats, etc). We're also leaving some shirts with our scent in his crate in case he needs some extra comfort. Is there anything else we can do to make this easier for him? We're already nervous enough about having to go so last minute, and want to do everything we can for him. Any advise is helpful, thanks so much!

@joshteo You sound like you're pretty prepared!

I went away from my puppy for about a week, and on the second day he was ill from stress (not eating either), however, he did have company the entire time. It was something new for him, and I had left him on his own previously, however, nothing overnight. He was fine again on the 3rd day and was eating again. I have a toy australian shepherd. I am just sharing my story to let you know that whilst things may not go smoothly, things will be fine :)

@emebet Thank you so much! We really needed reassurance so I appreciate you sharing so much. He's already such a big handful (I'm sure you probably understand with your toy Aussie hehe). Good to know he might get a little ill, we'll be mentally preparing for the heartache 😅