Advice/opinions on what i’m feeding my boy

@nawmoty thanks for the input here. I'm currently looking at Acana Lamb & Apple recipe to see if that might accomplish a little weight gain while also being easy on his stomach. Do you put any stock in grain-free vs. grains? the vet has recommended something with grains due to some study they cited around grain-free food potentially causing some kind of heart issue, but they really had no idea. they just noted that all dogs who had this heart issue just so happened to eat grain-free.

@jerusa I would strongly suggest steering clear of Acana or Orijen (both made by Champion).

Have you had his B12 levels checked? I have a chessie that is nearly impossible to keep weight on. His b12 levels have been constantly low since he was a puppy, and after trying a few dozen things we settled on a 3 month trial of Panzquin with Cobalequin. It may be worth talking to your vet about, because one container of that stuff and now mine is putting weight on (albeit rather slowly), and his B12 levels are normal after 4 years of tests.

All of that being said, if you can only see a bit of his ribs, he's likely not underweight at all. People are not used to seeing healthy athletic labs, and they will constantly tell you that your dog is too skinny. 72lbs is a VERY healthy weight unless he is just absolutely huge for a lab.

@jerusa Fairly heavily linked to DCM issues (though the cause is still being investigated), but also their foods are not formulated by industry experts, and they do not do any sort of formalized research. This rate fairly huge knocks when you think of dog food as something that is supposed to be made for your dog to eat for their entire life.

Also wanted to add, if the pic in your post a few months ago is the dog in question, he looks extremely healthy (from what I can see of the front half). In his summer coat, you should be able to see the last couple ribs as long as his muscles aren't atrophied. Some dogs need a little extra to keep their muscle conditions right, but athletic labs usually stay thinner.

@iambenn They do not have any veterinary nutritionists on staff, but they utilize a third party consultant team for formulation. Their R&D team is full of highly educated individuals, but they don't do the formulating.

They really have 3 nutritionists at best, but they are intentionally vague on how many they have (leading me to believe they actually have 1 or 2 in actuality).

They also heavily rely on buzzwords and uneducated consumers to make sells. My biggest petpeeve being "human grade kitchens". Champion lists a bunch of regulatory standard procedures (meaning legally required) and acts like they are the only ones doing it, which is preying on consumers that don't know the regs.

Champion may have been unique in their approach prior to the passing of FSMA, but post-FSMA they are a run of the mill manufacturer with sub par scientific backing.

They also have one of the highest profit margins of any company I'm familiar with, but that's a personal issue I have, rather than once that effects others.

And yes I've read that paper, it is not a full research study on the topic. I know of multiple direct studies on this, and I believe the first is due to be published later this year or early next year.

@iambenn Yes I'm familiar with their team, calling them nutritionists does not mean that's what they are. Not a single one of those are qualified by degree alone.

A PhD in Animal Nutrition is generally the minimum. A Masters might be sufficient based on which program and further education they pursued, but that is extremely rare.

Plus those individuals are not formulating, a third party is. Their R&D team does initial development and then hands off for adjustments and tweaking. This leaves them open to issues with ingredient variation (which is unavoidable).

I do enjoy them throwing "science based" into nearly every blurb about the team, despite not funding or publishing any significant scientific research.

@nekkoddd Yes same 3 companies.

That’s a problem because it creates a conflict of interest. Of course a list of guidelines made for and funded by 3 companies is only going to allow 3 companies to fit its rules.

Most people can see the issue with that but for some reason so many choose to be blindfolded by those 3 companies.

@sheba92766 That just makes no sense. It’s literally not a problem.

Any brands can follow the guidelines, they just choose not to. They are simple guidelines that are out in the open for any company to follow. Its not like WSAVA promotes any certain brand, just like WSAVA isn’t only about food. Literally any brand can follow the guidelines, but they don’t, why don’t they? Why would they not want to have the best quality food? Why would they not want to make people have more confidence in feeding their foods? Purina even has a brand that doesn’t follow the guidelines.

No, most people see that its a non issue. There aren’t many reasons to feed a food that could cause DCM, when there are readily available foods that don’t.

This is like saying corn is a filler, or by-products are bad. Its just not true.

Edit- So you block me so we can’t even discuss it. What a dumbass.

Back