Advice about training my 4 month old puppy?

darcylbridge

Hey y’all! So I recently got a puppy and started on training, socialization, desensitization etc and he’s pretty good for the most part, unless hes distracted and/ or we’re outside. He hasn’t gotten his recall down yet nor does he walk on a leash properly even though we almost leash him 24/7. I would appreciate Any advice on that or some instructional videos that teach you to train step-by-step? I’ve been working really hard but this is my first dog and I don’t think I’m getting it right. I feel dumb seeing how easy it is for some people. Also do y’all have any recommendations on e collars or advice on it (if it’s necessary) anything is appreciated. Thank you!

@darcylbridge First of all you are not dumb, loose leash walking is probably one of the hardest things to train, especially for a young excited pup. Personally it took me over a year to get it to get it to a pretty good level (this is probably longer than average since my mechanics suck, but it is not unusual for it to take months).

Things that worked best for me: 1) continuous feeding while dog is in position 2) teaching responsiveness to leash pressure inside first and gradually working up the distraction level. The kikopup videos are good. I am also trying denise fenzi's "circle method" which is nice bc you don't need treats, but only on day 1 so can't attest to effectiveness yet.

@darcylbridge I'm a big fan of kikopup on youtube! Here is her puppy training playlist:

Also Canine Matters has an online puppy start program that I think? is interactive as well.

Also if you'd like more 1 on 1 experience I highly suggest seeing if some local trainers are doing private sessions or zoom calls. For a 4 month old you really don't need an e collar yet. I work with a ton of puppies right now because people are getting them left and right and 9/10 times a puppy really doesn't need anything more than a slip (or martingale) and some treats.

@pellebroekveld I’ve honestly tried a slip lead, I’ve seen instructional videos, but I still think I’m doing it wrong (hurting my puppy) cause when he pulls it chokes him and it doesn’t loosen up again (maybe I’m just doing it realllly wrong) I know to put it right behind it’s ears but it keeps falling down

Back