Adopting my first dog next week

karendel

I’m so excited. This is a milestone I’ve been looking forward to for years now and I’m finally in a place where I’m ready for my life to be changed by dog ownership!

Question for y’all: how do you pick? How do you know which dog is for you? Was it love at first sight? We’re you seeking a specific breed? Or did you two just find each other?

I’m already prone to indecision and the pressure and excitement and genuine love for all dogs has made it even harder! Help!

@karendel We picked based on personality, of a puppy. Fun fact about puppies, their personalities change!!

Our shelter had a litter brought in from a little rural community as soon as they were able to be adopted out, and we were told “black lab X” Which was true, but she’s also got a lot of GSD and malamute! Due to her very mutty heritage she’s a rough 1/3 or each, but as a small puppy she looked exactly like a tiny black lab. Her Roman nose didn’t grow in until we had her for a month, and only when we finally saw her in bright sunlight could we tell she was dark sable instead of black but had black GSD saddle and mask markings. Again, only visible in bright sunlight. We’d adopted her in winter. Her husky fur which sprouts from her belly, butt and armpits didn’t grow in until she was almost two years old, her armpits and belly were just straight up hairless until then.

Her demeanour changed to reflect all this. While she started out as a calm, toddling, chill dude, she rapidly became a howling malamaniac who used her GSD cleverness to satiate her black lab greed by doing insane things like swallowing whole potatoes out of a bag within the 20 second turnaround it took for us to make a second trip to the car for groceries.

We also thought mutts were supposed to be healthier in general due to a lack of inbreeding or overbreeding for extreme pedigree traits, but she was allergic to everything for years (most of her allergies have chilled out now that she’s 9) and had to be on a diet of salmon and bison and goat and kelp etc. This resulted in chronic ear infections during puppyhood.

She’s way more active than we expected, she talks more, she’s way smarter than we anticipated, and she comes up with her own forms of “sign language” (she has specific ways of butting or manipulating your hands with her nose to mean different things to directly ask you for stuff) so all in all she is way more than the dog we bargained for. We also love every part of her and have cherished every moment. We have no regrets at all.

Moral of the story; do your absolute best to consider your options and choose the dog you’re sure is the best suited for your lifestyle and home… but be prepared for that to not be the case once they settle in. Dogs are intelligent enough to have big personalities, and sometimes they don’t show them until they’ve adjusted to their new home (or in ours case, grown up). You could have your dog for a few months before their true selves starts showing, be prepared to love and care for whatever comes.

@karendel Decide exactly what kind of dog is going to work for your living situation and then look for a dog that fits those needs.

If you want a chill dog that's going to relax on the couch with you and go for a few walks a day then a GSD/husky/border collie/etc are all terrible choices.

If you want a dog that's going to love everybody then breeds that are known for being protective are the wrong choice.

If you have other small pets (such as cats) then you need a dog with a low prey drive.

You can check out the breed questionnaire over at r/dogs and if you fill it out people will help you choose a breed or point you in the right direction and tell you what to look for and what to avoid.

When I got my dog (a shih Tzu and Lhasa apso cross) I was looking for a low energy dog that doesn't shed. I just had criteria and was looking for a dog that matched all of it.

@karendel Exciting decision.

Here are my suggestions: Try some “what breed is good for me” quizzes on line. Although you may not be getting a pure bred, it does give you an idea of what traits might suit you.

Be realistic of what work you are able to take on at this point. Dogs really are more work than you think they will be. Go for a dog that is a step or two down from what your maximum is. For example, if you think you can walk them twice a day for an hour, get a dog that needs half that amount.

No matter how cute, don’t get a dog that “needs an experienced owner” or is “not for a first time owner”. You are not there yet. You want success for your dog and yourself.

Don’t worry about finding your “heart dog”. Relationships take time to develop. Choose a dog that suits you and your lifestyle and you get a good feeling about. Put in the time and energy to develop that relationship. In a few years, you’ll likely look around and find your heart dog sleeping on the couch beside you.

@karendel There's various factors to consider when choosing a dog breed fit for your lifestyle and questions you need to ask.
  • Size: Do you have the need for an XL dog and can handle their energy and upkeep costs ?
  • Purpose: What's the dog's purpose in your home ? Companionship, guardian, exploring the woods and taking long walks etc.
  • Gender: Both genders have different needs & traits, so check which one suits you.
  • Personality: Research on different dog breed traits and personality.
( common health issues, shedding etc ).

@karendel Please do not look for aesthetics alone. Too many irresponsible people do this and get breeds they are NOT fit for. I mean, people getting working and herding breeds then locking them in crates 8-12hrs of the day without proper physical or mental exercise and then wonder why the dog is "out of control." Please, by the Gods, do extensive research.

The best dog for you will find you. Especially if you are going through a rescue program or adoption agency. Be clear and concise when describing your home life, acitivity levels and expectations. If you provide false information or allow your ego to fill out a form, the wrong placement may be made and it won't be fun for you or your new doggo.

Take time with them. If you feel that connection, you'll know it. The excitement of a new dog can cloud judgement a bit, but boy.... you'll know when they have chosen you to be their care taker.

Good luck

Back