Adopting ACD with Toddler

phonehouse

I can’t help question the generic articles online, and seeking out this ACD community of who maybe able to share their experiences and offer guidance.

• Online warns ACD’s are not good with toddlers for various reasons. Ideal for older kids 10 y/o+

Have any of you adopted a young ACD and brought them into your family with a toddler?…please enlightenment me, is the above statements true?

My kiddo is 2, loves dogs, and had previously grown up since a baby with our beloved ACD who was 6 y/o. This lovely, loyal, smart energetic creature had to stay rightfully with my ex husband.

@phonehouse I had my heeler while I was pregnant and was able to get all his routines and training etc managed before baby arrived and he's been good with all three of my kids.

He has his own space where he can retreat from the kids and we've established boundaries with him towards the kids from day one. Like staying out of their faces, no crowding them, shoving, sitting on them etc. No jumping up. No begging/stealing/following the kids with food etc. the kids aren't allowed climb on him.

Heelers CAN be good with toddlers. They just have to really have rules and boundaries and know to respect the kids space. And vice.versa. I don't let my kids play with my heeler because he will chomp your hand and he gets wild with his toys.

The kid and dog interactions are always just chilling and petting when he's calm. They have him do tricks for treats and stuff like that. But nothing over stimulating or exciting. Only grownups.

Dunno if that's helpful. My situation wasn't exactly the same.

@phonehouse ACDs are generally discouraged with young kids because of a cattle dog’s propensity to nip and herd small children. They require a lot of supervision around young kids and not all parents are able to provide constant supervision or have safe ways of separating doggo and kiddo (ex. Baby gates, play pens, enough space in the house, separate rooms).

Cattle dogs also require a lot of exercise and stimulation, regardless of what might be going on with you or other members of your family. That means finding a way to fulfill those needs on days you are sick, on days your kids are sick, days when other stuff comes up, etc. Some cattle dogs are more chill than others but my guy gets destructive pretty quickly if his stimulation needs aren’t met for a day or two.

Also, I’d imagine it’s just hard to raise a puppy with young kids because you’re trying to teach them both how to establish and reinforce boundaries, not steal food, not barrel run each other down, not be aggressive with each other, managing jealousy when one is not getting attention over the other, all that kind of stuff.

@phonehouse We adopted a year old ACD a couple of months ago and have a 2 and a half year old son. Having had a few heelers in the past I knew what the chances were and took my boy over to the foster home and spent some time just watching the interaction between the two. We ended up bringing him home and he happily became part of the family and very protective of my little boy. With that being said they equally harass each other these days and the dog knocks him over while trying to herd him up whenever he gets a little rambunctious.

@phonehouse We have a heeler mix (Bingo) who is about 2 years old and a toddler who was 3 when we adopted the heeler. Early on, Bingo would nip at my daughter. Actually, she would nip at all of us if we were running. We just kept making big yelps whenever she’d do it and walk away. She eventually stopped nipping. Bingo never broke skin but we knew she had to be watched closely when we were outside.

Mostly, she’s aloof of my daughter. And just wants to be with me or my husband. So it’s been okay so far. We’ve had Bingo for almost a year.

@phonehouse Every one is different, but I waited until my kid was in school (5yo)before adopting our heeler mix as a puppy. I can’t imagine raising a toddler and heeler pup at the same time. Even at 5 sometimes it’s hard for my kid to have impulse control so we use puppy pens to separate them when we can’t be right there to intervene. Every single minute the puppy is awake we are training/teaching/enforcing something either with the puppy or kid. I personally would wait until your toddler is older. 💜

@phonehouse I got scout when she was 8 weeks old and my youngest was 2.5 years old , my oldest was 4. The worst thing that happened was when the younger kid would run around in his long pajama pants, scout would chase and grab bottom of the pants and pull . My son laughed and thought it was funny cause sometimes she would pull his pants off . The action was redirected and I didn’t give her the opportunity to keep learning that behavior. She is now 8 and has always been great with the boys . I would advise getting a female puppy , they are less puppy dumb and listen better . We have three heelers now, two are deaf ages 2 and 3 and scout is 8. The boys are 10 and 13. If you know the breed you’ll be fine .

@phonehouse We bought my heeler when my son was less than a year old. She’s amazing now, but had I to do it over again…I would not. She was difficult to have around him for the first 3-4 years because she would chase him and nip. She wasn’t being aggressive, she was just being a heeler. But obviously you can’t have a dog chasing and nipping a small child so they weren’t together much. We also had issues with her chasing the kids when they were sledding or riding bike. She mostly got better with time, but YEARS- not months. She still chases alongside everything that moves, but she mostly knows not to nip humans now. Once in a great while she gets way overly excited and forgets. She’s nearly 8 now, in case you’re wondering if they ever grow out of the chase (they do not.)

All that being said, overall she is more trustworthy around strange children and teens than adults. She does NOT like strangers but is generally alright if those strangers are young. She definitely knows kid from adult. And she loves her own kids.

@phonehouse I love heelers and will alway have them. I have had heeler my entire life EXCEPT when my kids were small. Didn’t get a heeler again until my youngest was in school. Why a heeler there are many, many other breeds that will be a much better fit for your young family? By choosing a heeler you are setting yourself and the dog up for failure right from the start.

@redcrambler Thank you for sharing that you made a choice to wait until school age. What type of failure are you alluding to?

Previously had a heeler and I am quite attached to the bred/personality with an active lifestyle that matches. I’d rather wait a few years if a toddler and ACD aren’t going to jive, since it’s a lifelong companion.

@phonehouse The only red flag I see is that, sometimes ACD’s end up available for adoption because of behavioral issues. If the available ACD is in a foster situation, that would be a better way to know how they are with children and other pets.

As for getting an ACD puppy, a trainer that knows the breed is a must. The trainer will have to be willing to include the toddler in the training sessions.

All of my ACD’s would be an ideal pet around toddlers, other dogs and cats.

Just take it slow.

@redcrambler Same here. I adore my dog. I have the time to spend with her. I work from home, and she’s a Velcro dog; with me every minute. We take 4 mile walks every day, do agility classes once a week, shoot the ball in the yard most evenings. Having said that, I did not have the time when my kids were little, or even when they were school age and every evening we were driving to activities. I wanted a dog for years, but glad I waited until my kids were almost in college. They are such high energy, smart dogs that can be destructive or difficult if bored . They’re not a dog that can be in a crate for hours every day.

@phonehouse We adopted our heeler about a year before my daughter was born and so we had plenty of time to dedicate to training her and getting her adjusted to our home before bringing a baby into the mix. Personally, I wouldn't adopt one while you have small children. The adjustment is huge and it will be difficult to get both the dog and kids used to each other. Honestly, my dogs are absolutely wonderful with my toddler but if they passed away tomorrow I probably would wait several years to adopt another dog because I know while I have small children I just can't dedicate the time and attention to them that they need when adjusting to a new home.

@phonehouse Many are not good either young kids bc young kids don’t respect or even understand what’s okay or pick up in cues. Mine does not like them. If they are over 8 she’s okay as long as they don’t tease.

If you are adopting one ask if they can test the dog with kids - it’s not a complete picture but can give an idea before you adopt.

I agree with 10 or up but I know for a fact some are fantastic with small kids.

Basically it depends but there are valid reasons for this age guideline.

@phonehouse Yeah I love my dog, and he’s good with kids 99% of the time, but the 1% wasn’t fun. Wait until your kiddo is over ten to get your next buddy, or just go for a breed that is better with kids. All dogs are individuals, but if your child get hurts, you’d blame yourself for not heeding the warning, and no one needs that kind of stress. ❤️

@phonehouse Remind me in 1 month. I don’t have anything productive to add, I am here for the meltdown parents gonna have with two toddlers. Also, it’s highly dog specific regardless of breed. You can’t find out before you try.

@phonehouse My little boy is almost 2 and my acd is about 3. I also have a border collie and the acd is way better with the kid then the border. Since day one he has always been great with the baby. Occasionally runs into him but they are best buds and he is so gentle. The border just try's to avoid the kid if possible.

@phonehouse I really think it depends on the dog. We adopted our ACD mix when he was about 5 months old. I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old (he was 3 when we brought the puppy home) and honestly just put them on the same nap/breakfast/dinner/bed schedule and we’ve had zero issues. This dog is fiercely loyal and protective of both kids. The only hiccup is our ACD is a BIG boy. And he sometimes forgets he’s big and knocks my 4 year old over or steps on him when we’re all on the couch - but that hasn’t happened enough to be a real problem and my kiddo often gives him the sit or down command if the dog is too in his face.

Back