Adopted 4 MO w/Socialization Struggles

nuresearcher

I recently adopted a small breed dog who is roughly 4 mo. We are nearly complete with our first week together, and I noticed as she slowly decompresses, there may be some socialization issues. Her background isn’t well known, but she was described as a “conflicted” dog. She seemed like a insecure and timid pup who was interested in the other pup near us and took some time to warm up to people. Now I wonder if she was ever properly socialized and I am concerned about her life outlook.

I have a lot of anxiety about this because I recently returned a prior shelter dog who slowly revealed himself to have moderate-severe leash reactivity, separation anxiety, and general anxiety (he couldn’t calm himself). I know about puppy blues, but I am so terrified that I made a mistake adopting a dog who may turn out the same way.

I have her last shot series scheduled in two weeks and then plan to enroll her in puppy obedience class for socialization and structure. I WFH but I live alone, so I will be her main caregiver. My only concern is not making her situation worse and what ways I can alleviate her fear through positive reinforcement methods.

So far we are/will work on crate training, feeling comfortable in her safe space, potty training (difficult due to her anxiety and living in an apartment), and learning how to settle. I rely a lot on Kikopup’s videos and resources from my last rescue’s behaviorist.

If anyone has any tips about restarting socialization process for a 4 mo pup or how they navigated their fearful pup, I would really appreciate the feedback/tips. Thanks!

@nuresearcher I wouldn't put her in puppy obedience unless its a very small group. Not right away and that sort of thing can always happen later.

You may want to check out this book about socializing. Slow and small steps is what I would suggest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1943634092/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Watch for signs of stress and take a step back if you see it . Take small steps and increase them if the pup is okay with it.

Make experiences positive with treats or playing and introduce a lot of different experiences.

Socializing can be all sorts of experiences but you want to be able to control the level and frequency so you can ensure it's all good experiences.
  • Go to a store and sit in the parking lot and watch people walk by
  • Put noisy things on the floor , and around him to bump into while playing .
  • Close drawers, bang silver ware , jingle keys , knock on doors , ring door bells etc.
  • Loudly play sounds of dogs barking , and thunder clapping ( I found several on Youtube )
  • Put strange objects on the floor like hats, boots, brushes etc.
  • Give flashy and noisy toys like crinkle toys and baby toys ( make sure he can't chew any hard ones)
  • Have friends come by and ring door bells / knock on doors and meet and greet.
  • Setup play or meet and greets with friends or neighbor dogs.
Just a few idea.

@nuresearcher A couple things that are seemingly contradictory are also equally true. That is, at 16 weeks a puppy is still early in their development and has a lot of room to grow. Also true is that there is an enormous range in behaviors and even personalities, including behavior and personality that are less than ideal. Whether this is a passing phase or a lifelong defect, only time will tell.

My advice is the same advice I would give anyone with a puppy. You want your dog to grow up to be confident and well adjusted, you get there with a lot of upbeat early socializing. The keyword is upbeat. Puppies are going to look to you a lot to see how they should be reacting, always be calm and confident. Don't coddle your puppy.

The second part of my advice to you would be, when you adopt a dog of an unknown providence you have to realize that there may be an issue with the finished product. A dog is a huge, financial and emotional commitment and you should get the dog that you want. And it's really ok if that means you have to re-home a rescue dog or two until you are satisfied. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Back