Adopted 17 yr old toy poodle

faithguy917

She’s only 4 pounds and you can feel every bone.

She has only eaten human food her entire life, whatever her people ate. She refuses to touch any kind of dog food (stew, mashed paste, kibble…).

She only has two teeth and has anal gland leaking issues as well. I adopted her Saturday and so far she will eat only unsalted rotisserie chicken, cottage cheese (LOVES), smoked deli ham and cheddar cheese.

Are any of the “fresh” foods any good, or very human - food like? I really don’t have the time or budget to figure out a healthy homemade food plan. And she’s so skinny I’m afraid to try the “starve her til she eats what’s given” method.

It’s also rough because my 4 year old bichon who we adopted a few months ago is now very jealous of the chicken and cottage cheese- always tries to steal it, and won’t eat her own!!

@sgraves76 Yessss she was at the EV over the weekend and so she’s in a bland diet right now. I learned that she likes ground turkey AND it must be warm for her lol!

@faithguy917 If you can, try some baby food chicken and rice formula mixed with some softened kibble. I had this issue once and I used to buy I think the “honest company” baby food chicken and rice. Then soak kibble in hot unsalted chicken broth until really soft and mix it in her food. Royal canin makes baby food for pups that are designed for them to gain weight too. All else fails, keep her on her diet as is. She’s 17, give her what she loves!

@faithguy917 I think at 17 it might just be more worth it to keep her comfy! But these are great ideas to try. My senior dog would only eat boiled chicken, broth and rice for a while and eventually got him to eat some kibble soaked in it.

@faithguy917 You need to taken her to a veterinarian and have her checked out including senior blood work and a urinalysis to see if she has a health condition or conditions that need to be treated. In the case of something like kidney disease a special diet will be needed.

@faithguy917 Vet visit first! Eating such an improper diet for so long could have brought out health issues. Unfortunately, none of the fresh food diets available are really safe or well formulated, but if that’s all that a geriatric dog is going to eat, it’s better than starving.

@faithguy917 My vet has recommended an additive to human food, check with yours. Please don't continue this without tge vet OK. My vet is also OK with doing the following:

Carrots and/or pumpkin to get some fiber to help with the anal gland issues. Start with very small amounts before slowly increasing. I feed my dogs semi-soft (not cooked to mush) and raw, chopped up very small so they can swallow withput chewing. Ours are also older now with few teeth. Sometimes I chop up & cook green beans, or pieces of celery.

Stop the rotisserie chicken, it's got sodium injected in to it. I boil chicken wings & thighs, with a stalk of celery & some carrot, to make homemade chicken broth. Or put a whole chicken in a crockpot or the oven & roast, give that meat softened with the broth. When it's down to the carcass, pull it apart & cook done more to make bone broth. Mine also get cottage cheese as their protein on occasion.

I cook rice with a small amount of safflower oil. This is part of the meal along with chicken & veg.

My vet approved this & the dogs like it. See what yours says.

FWIW my dogs like kibble if it's softened in chicken/bone broth. I heat the broth almost to boiling then add to kibble, stir after 1/2 hour. Can also rehydrate in the fridge overnight.

@greenmart123 Thank you for the suggestions! We’re actually at the emergency vet right now because she’s been vomiting brown mucus-y stuff, 4 times in an hour :( I plan on cooking some chicken myself like you suggested instead of the rotisserie chicken, but we do get the no salt added kind.

Back