acd puppy in an apartment?

augustus_33ad

i’m looking to get a acd in january, she will be 8 weeks old at the time. my boyfriend and i live in a 1000 sq foot condo… will this be enough for her? i know that they require a lot of mental/physical stimulation, and we are ready to take that task on. does anyone have any experience/tips?

side note: we do also have a 3 y/o cat, he’s been around puppies before so i’m not worried about him. should i be worried bringing an acd around?

@augustus_33ad It can be done. Do be warned, 8 weeks is a handful; the chaos could last for a few years.

You'll want at least one baby gate, some people get those little metal corrals. A "safe space" kennel that's large enough for the grown dog to stand up and turn around is a must.

Rotate a variety of toys in and out of circulation to keep things fresh. By the time they're 4-6 months, they'll need 2-3 hours of outside exercise. Socialize in small, controllable situations after the vet gives them the all clear. I'd recommend a harness and double handled leash.

The cat is an unknown quantity, though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

@yeshuasown I second the harness tip. First time I brought my Heeler puppy into a public situation she pulled out of the collar with ease. Fortunately she ran right back to my car and jumped in when I opened the back hatch (clearly was her safe space.)

We have successfully kept her stimulated indoors with pull toys (she's also a thrasher so she'll occupy herself with those pull toys occasionally), playing catch with small Chuck-it balls, and a super-sized flirt pole similar to what you play with cats with. But, we also get her outside at least 2 hrs per day as well, so I second that comment as well.

@karen22 Indoor Ball games are out for us, as a courtesy to neighbors. The take-away to the above comment is to have games that are collaborative.

Just to emphasize:

2-3 hours outdoors + indoor work, rain or snow, not squeezing it in before human stuff -- appointment exercise time, otherwise your apartment will be their primary herding zone.

@yeshuasown Dude, THIS. If a 5 mile hike doesn’t happen right after I get home- nothing productive happens and my house is dunzo. Not that I mind, it’s basically just a super needy kid lol

@silvia74 the only reason i prefer to get a puppy (of any breed, not exclusive to an acd) is to socialize around my cat and other animals as early on as possible. i’ve had bad experiences in the past where rescues have been “cat friendly” but that wasn’t the case.

@augustus_33ad Could you try fostering? Worst case is you return the dog and free up a kennel for 24 hours. I thought I’d have to go through several dogs before finding my cat’s soul playmate, but I got stupid lucky on the first try with an ACD/chihuahua mix who is the perfect apartment dog. (I also spent two months refreshing the city-run shelter’s fosterable pets page three times a day before I saw a pup I was confident I could handle.)

@augustus_33ad Everyone always says don’t get an ACD if you live in an apartment.

But it depends…

I have a purebred ACD in an apartment that’s about half the size of yours. I don’t take her for agility training, to dog parks, or do any type of intensive exercise on a regular basis. She’s rarely even ever off leash. We walk 10k steps every single day, have some play time indoors, and she sleeps most of the day otherwise. She’s the most well trained and well behaved dog I’ve ever met.

The key, for me at least, was to learn a routine that worked for us. At first things were stressful, but I learned she’ll always be happy as long as she’s beside me. I work from home; if I didn’t, this would never work. I’m a homebody; if I wasn’t, this would never work. I’m extremely routine oriented; if I didn’t instill those routines onto her, this wouldn’t work.

She stays stimulated by following me around all day. When we go for walks, we do the exact same routes. She knows where to turn, she knows to sit before crossing the street and before any door/elevator opens. Every aspect of the approx. 18hrs that we’re awake together, she’s doing micro routines. That’s how she stays stimulated. And she’s the happiest pup.

From my experience, I would only recommend an ACD to someone who is going to be by their side all day, every day. That’s when the dog is their happiest.

We do a lot of canoe tripping in the summer and I often get asked how I trained her to behave so well in the tent and in my canoe. I didn’t. She’s just trained well in general, and she doesn’t care if it’s a canoe, a tent, my car, or my apartment… if she’s by my side, she’s happy and she listens to me.

The puppy part of the equation… that will probably be a big challenge. But that can be for any puppy in general. I adopted my ACD when she was around 2 years old, so I didn’t need to deal with the puppy stage.

Edit: pup tax

@augustus_33ad That’s another example of “she just wants to be by my side”. I tried crate training her in the main area of my apartment right when I got her. She kept crying when I went to bed. It took a few days for me to realize she was actually fine with the crate, she wasn’t fine with me leaving her.

I moved the crate into my bedroom and she never made a peep. I only kept the door closed for the first month or two, now she still sleeps in it overnight because it’s cozy and comfy, but the door is permanently open.

Even when I leave the house, she will lay on the mat in front of the door and literally will not move until I get home, even if I’m gone for several hours. The term ‘velcro dog’ can’t be understated for my pup.

@mountain_girl406 This! I’ve had my almost 8 years acd since he was a few months old. We hike 3-5 miles every weekday and I think it’s the only thing keeping us both sane.

ETA: if the owner is able to hire a service to take their dog out for a couple miles a day that would help a lot. This is unrealistic for a lot of people.

@mountain_girl406 that was another question of mine as well. i know the full immunization process lasts about 12-16 weeks, and i have seen some articles say that in that period puppy pad training and carrying while in public is the way to go. i don’t want to have to keep her cooped up for 1-2 months. are there any safe places to walk before full vaccination?

@augustus_33ad Unfortunately not really. Parvo is nothing to underestimate, it’s a truly awful disease. Coyotes can spread it also so it’s not as easy as just avoiding places where dogs are. This is one of the bigger initial challenges of not having your own lawns.

Just exercise the maximum amount of caution and I’m sure they will be fine. It’s really only an issue until full immunization which as at around 4 months. By that point they’ll be well cooped up and delightfully psychotic lol.

I didn’t have a big lawn either when mine was a puppy and he got through it. Mental stimulation is going to be really important. Teach them tricks ASAP, they love to learn! And get some soft chewing balls for indoor fetch.

@augustus_33ad Consider that wild dogs den in very small spaces. They use all of the great outdoors for mental and physical stimulation.

Also consider that ACD’s stake out small areas of the house to sleep. Also a denning thing.

It’s all the other times that they need room to spend all that energy. A small living space is doable. But you have to be committed to all the other stuff.

My ACD’s are very calm indoors. Possibly because that’s how they were raised.

@augustus_33ad My ACD is 2 and has only lived in apartments. She loves apartments! Haha

We have a nice park by us that I can play fetch with her.

She can turn up when she needs to but is actually very cuddly and chill when we are chill.

She’s a smaller ACD (33 lbs) so she’s perfect for an apartment.