ACA

My husband bought me a female Cavalier King Charles from a breeder in Arizona but he assumed when she said she was registered she was AKC. When he brought her home I didn’t look at her paperwork as we were just happy to have her. Now I’m looking at her paperwork at she is ACA. The breeder told me her dad is AKC and mom is ACA so it is possible to get her AKC registered? Is this true?
Some suggestions from others is to return her, giver her away, or fix her. I do not want to do that. We love her and want to keep her. Im just upset she isn’t registered.

@rtmtigwelder4472 Looks like you have a male CKCS, so I’m going to assume you wish to start a breeding program. I HIGHLY recommend researching all the helpful info/links on how to become an ethical breeder.

It’s rare for an ethical breeder to sell a bitch with full breeding rights. If you are serious about becoming a breeder, the first step is to really sit with WHY you want to breed. If it’s for any reason besides wanting to better the breed, I would highly reconsider.

Recommend you build a relationship with an ethical breeder in your community. Learn the ins and out of the world, proving your dogs, understanding pedigree and necessary health testing- become an mentee and be willing to learn.

@donnags1964 I'm an AKC breeder I do DNA testing and clear all my reading Paris through OFA. That is a must Cavaliers have a lot of hereditary issues if the breeder did not OSA, mom or dad do not breed them this is what perpetuates sadness that people get when they get a puppy that passes away at five or six years old because of heart problems. Among many other issues the Cavaliers have I've tried to educate so many people on this and people think I just want to buy a puppy but I don't want to spend a lot of money so they get one that has not been tested or one from someone who is just a backyard breeder pimping out puppies it's so sad. Keep in Cavaliers pure is strictly to be sure that no one is selling puppies that have issues you're playing Russian roulette may or may not have it. Please do your due diligence look up the AKC site google cavalier, hereditary issues I wish more people would investigate that breed or any breed before they buy, make sure they have reviews and the word ethical reader said throughout the site and people recommend them whether it's five years ago or today you will pay more for your puppy, but you guarantee a lifetime of great health

@rtmtigwelder4472 The ACA is a scam registry. Registration with them means nothing.

Unless both her parents had full registration with a reputable registry such as the AKC or Canadian KC and the litter was registered, no you cannot get her AKC registration.

@rtmtigwelder4472 This makes me so sad. Do not breed her. Get pet insurance on her and love her.

I breed and show cavaliers and there is a lot of work (and money) involved. Most reputable breeders spend more than they make from puppies. Puppies that I sell to pet homes come with limited registration, which means that any puppies they have could not be registered with AKC. My puppies are all on a spay/neuter contract and No one had tried to get around that by registering their limited AKC registration to full registration on ACA.

Therefore, ACA registration means that somewhere along the line, they bred a dog that was not supposed to be bred. They probably didn't do the required health certifications. Your breeder is what is known as a "back yard breeder". Your dog might be perfectly fine,but get health insurance on her now, just in case.

The best way to find a good breeder is to go to a dog show and talk to people.

No matter what, love your dog. Cavaliers are the best.

@saara CKCS are not my breed, so you might be better suited to answer my question below:

OP looks to have a black and tan male (picture on profile) but has some white markings. Would that also be considered a fault?

@donnags1964 White is not ideal on a whole color like a black and tan. It would be considered a fault in the show ring though not one to get you totally thrown out just a mark against. White on a whole color usually means a parent, grandparent, etc was a parti-color (Blenimems and Tris who have the white). While you can still breed a whole color who has everything else perfect (health certificates, conformation to breed standard, temperament, etc) and risk the little bit of white I don't think that in this case the dog in question is perfect in every other way and the white is the only tiny issue.

@rtmtigwelder4472 Please don't breed without an actual solid plan for bettering the breed. Cavaliers are known for genetic issues but the reckless backyard breeding and puppy mills have really exacerbated the problem too and it's why so many people associate them with poor health. Cavaliers are my breed in that I attend shows, made breeder friends, and am learning to show and obviously own them as pets. My dream is to one day show a dog to a championship and maybe breed down the road. Right now I don't have a mentor, am seeking one, so I would never attempt to do any of what I would like to let alone breeding which is the hardest work.

A breeder I am friends with and who has bred for upwards of 20 years just had a litter of 3 where 2 of the pups died, one as a stillborn and one at 3 weeks from pneumonia. The mother is new and not making enough milk so they had to supplement, meaning round the clock even 3 AM to feed them, and sometimes puppies drink too quickly and aspirate which can lead to pneumonia and thousands of dollars in care with the end result of a dead puppy still. It's heartbreaking in every way and I know this isn't their first loss because you will always lose some sadly but it hurts just the same especially as they were turning the corner they thought. So much goes into breeding and the risks are high. If your one dog is ACA registered it means that the parents have never gone through the rigorous testing you need to do before you even consider breeding and then how do you know your male is the best compliment to offset the issues the girl has, because no dog is perfect, even Westminster winners. Breeding should be working toward bettering the breed, in health, in temperament, in appearance in that order. We don't need more unhealthy Cavaliers in the world, we need breeders working to breed the best dogs for the longevity of the breed. If you love Cavaliers then you should know the more we move to bettering the breed the more we all benefit from having healthy, happy, companions to share our lives with.

@nibbana I know. My heart breaks for Charlie and Katie. I know they truly did so much and still sometimes nature can't be helped. I was originally going to be getting a pup from this litter too but things fell a different way and I ended up with my girl a few months earlier before the pregnancy was confirmed. I guess fate worked out for us but I am still so sad for Charlie and Katie.

@rtmtigwelder4472 That's not the biggest issue though. To breed cavaliers the right way, you will need many health tests done. You will want the records of all the parents of the dogs you're breeding. You want heart, eyes, hips, patella OFA certificates for all of them. 90% of cavaliers have heart issues some time in their lifetime. It is also a good idea to have DNA tests done and an MRI on each to rule out Syringomyelia. That's the reason some cavaliers cost up to 5k.

This breed is in alot of trouble because of all the health issues and back yard breeders are making the breed worse. Please do not breed your dogs if you are not going to take the proper steps to do so.

I don't know you and don't want to assume the worse. Just making sure you are aware. If your pups are completely healthy, then go ahead. It just sounds like you're not familiar with the process but I could be wrong.

Back