A dog teaches reactive dogs how to behave

bipn_406

Stan the dog in Somerset, England has tremendous success teaching reactive dogs how to behave. Watch it here.

Anyone know of a trainer in the U.S. who does this? It looks so effective.

@cameos Yeah, agreed. I think there is value in using stable, confident dogs to help “re-socialize” reactive dogs. However, this dog in particular looked pretty nervous at points. Not fair to put him through this just because he’ll tolerate anything.

@tamalyn
I think there is value in using stable, confident dogs to help “re-socialize” reactive dogs.

100%, I work in greyhound rescue and we frequently use social learning as a training tool, but what was shown in this video just seems to be flooding. Poor puppers all round.

@bipn_406 This is just a small video - might be caught on a bad day - maybe he was stressed about the camera crew. And people miss a lot of signals from dogs. How often do we hear people tell that a dog lunges out of nowhere or that they are always surprised by their dogs reactivity. But when you learn how to read your dogs signals it often turns out they do give a lot of signals up front.

And people still think that a wagging tail is a positive sign toward other dogs whilst there are often times that a stiff wag or a low wag tells a completely different story

@bipn_406 Absolutely there are lots of trainers that use their calm dogs with reactive dogs. I have done with my own dogs. That being said, I personally wouldnt go about it quite like this. Stan looks extremely stressed.

My goal as a dog trainer is to keep all the dogs relaxed, first and foremost the demo dogs!

@busryde Yes, looking at the clip again I see that. I also see the trainer interpreting his behavior in debatable ways. My enthusiasm has diminished. Also interesting is this trainer cannot be found on the web. Of course, that could be for any number of reasons, so even mentioning might be unfair. I was hoping to email her.though.One of my own problems is finding a trainer that doesn’t charge more than my lawyer or finding someone to help my dog and me with their calm dog. It’s tough trying this on your own.
My reactive dog presents huge problems for me, but he has taught me so much.

@bipn_406 I am on the lower end of the cost scale compared to other trainers in my area, but I am also extremely specific about who I work with (and I am still not cheap my any means). Part of the reason why the cost is high is a) we have a fairly specialized set of skills b) it isnt just for the hour I spend with you, it's also driving time, writing training plans, thinking about your dog at 2am, ect. and c) a higher cost usually means people actually put the work in.

You might look into growl classes - group classes can be more cost effective for owners.

I wouldnt suggest just finding somebody with a calm dog to work with, because depending on situation you could make your dog worse or potentially scare the calm dog. There is a lot of nuance in knowing when to "push" comfort zones and when to call it a day.

@busryde I get what you’re saying. I looked up a highly recommended trainer in my area—$600 an hour.

I don’t expect a trainer to think about my dog at 2:00, nor, quite frankly, do I want to pay for that.:)

Group classes no doubt work for some reactive dogs. My dog, though, could not handle it—at least not yet. Thanks for the informative response —much appreciated.

@bipn_406 $600 an hour is absolutely bonkers! I know only one person who charges that much for a private and they are multi international agility winner. Most in my area are between 70 - 150 (Canadian).

Perhaps if you say your general location people might share their recommendations.

And the 2 am comment is really just a reflection of my level of dedication to the clients hehe.

Happy training!

@busryde Your 2:00 am thoughts are wonderful. People good at their work often are doing just what you do at that hour.

I do have a good network of dog experts in my area. That’s how I found the $600 an hour person most others are are around $200-$250.

I bet you’re a very good trainer.

Back