9lb senior dog with CHF/kidney failure ate bad chicken and got two different recommendations from 2 vets

called_to_speak

Recently he ate bad chicken and got diarrhea and vomiting, took him to the vet and got his kidney levels checked. He had high BUN due to dehydration from the diarrhea and normal-high creatinine levels. 1st vet didn’t seem concerned and gave him diarrhea meds. But he would not eat much of anything, especially not the meds he got. I Took him back to the vet this morning and the 2nd vet said he needs immediate hospitalization with fluids based on the kidney values from the previous day tested by 1st vet. but his behavior was not lethargic he just had an upset stomach from the bad chicken. i had the 2nd vet give him SubQ fluids and a nausea injection instead of overnight hospitalization. he is eating now, and seems to be improving. Should i still hospitalize him for a day or two to bring down his kidney values? back in april both values were extremely high and he did 2 nights at vet with IV and his levels got back to normal. if hes improving appetite wise, are his levels alarming enough to need overnight IV fluids again like the 2nd vet recommended? She was honestly quite rude that I decided to try SubQ fluids first.

Back