9 M/O puppy won’t stop whining

didier1

Hi! My puppy is currently 9 months old and (as far as we were told) he is a mix between chihuahua, weiner dog and boston terrier. We’ve had him since he was 5months but for the last month he has been constantly whining and we can’t figure out why.

I try to play with him when he is crying and he will ignore the toy and continue to cry at me, i will take him outside but he will often just come right back in and start crying again, he doesn’t want to be pet when he’s whining as he will move away from our hands. We take him on walks atleast once a day and he goes to the dog park 1-2 times a week from socialization.

Even just today we got home from a 45 minute walk and 10 minutes later he was whining and crying at me again, and i’m really not sure what he wants or what to do about this.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Small Edit:
-He is not fixed yet (We are planning on it however this is my brothers dog and since i live there i take charge of a lot of the pet care and i spend a lot of time alone with him)
-He has been taken to the vet, As far as we can tell nothing is physically wrong with him

@444chris444 He went to the vet pretty recently just for a checkup and they didn’t clock anything abnormal. It doesn’t sound like a pained whimper, it’s like a directed cry like he wants something from us

@444chris444 I usually spend some time trying to play with him, letting him in and out, petting him, trying to figure out what he wants, sometimes i can get him to stop but when i can’t get him to stop i just try to go back to what i was doing and hope he can soothe himself

@didier1 I've never heard of anything quite like this honestly lol. But if your vet is sure there's nothing going on and he's been outside and been fed/Watered when he starts the whining, I personally would completely ignore him until he calms down, and THEN pet him and give him toys/treats. Ignore the bad behavior and reward the good behavior.

@didier1 I've been thinking about your puppy. Is it possible he's over-stimulated and tired? Puppies need a lot of sleep; when ours gets tired he makes cross grunts and groans, wanders back and forth restlessly, and can't settle.

He's just past his first birthday and still has to be put to bed in his crate.

@kenziisabeliever I appreciate you for thinking about this and coming back to it haha! I think we’ve figured out that it could be partially from separation anxiety and partially from not having another dog to play with in the house (He LOVES other dogs and becomes a bit difficult to contain around them haha), it seems like he mainly cries when only me or my brother is home alone with him and he cries the least when my nephew is home running around and being a normal 6 year old lol!

@didier1 I'm happy you got resolution! I always talk ttough in mmy head( oh, he's fine. Juust igore him). Meanwhile, I'm fretting and uselessly asking, "Oh poor baabbyyy. What's wrong puppy?' LOL

Back