6 month puppy and irritating whining

hrse2wtr

So I’ve done everything recommended before. Ignored the whining tried to train him that he gets good thing when he’s quiet. I’ve rewarded the calm. But he still whines and whines and whines

Im autistic and the high pitch whine grates on me horribly and sets me off

But no matter how much I try to train him that whining gets him nothing he insists on doing it

What can I do to get him to stop. He whines over everything

If I’m working, if I have food, if he has to be in his crate to sleep

Time outs don’t work either he just whines in the time out.

I can’t even go to the bathroom cause he’ll just whine.

As I sit here he’s tethered and I left the room and he’s whining

How can I get him to stop I’d prefer barking to this at least it’s not high pitched

@hrse2wtr Most of the dogs I've seen who were constantly whining, they were also constantly unhappy. So whining was a symptom, not the problem.

Not enough excercise, too stressful environment, not enough stimulation, too much stimulation, not enough quiet time, could be anything. To solve whining, the real problem needed to be solved first, and only then we could get rid of the learnt behaviour (which in some cases just disappeared by itself).

@thoushaltnorkill I mean he gets many walks and plays all day but if he can’t get to my so he immediately whines or if I leave he immediately whines and he’s a puppy only 6 months

He kinda seems like a bratty toddler whining when he can’t get what he wants. He’ll have a bully stick or pig ear yet whine cause he can’t get my food

@hrse2wtr How about his mental health? Is he sleeping enough (puppies often sleep 16h a day!) and getting breaks from stimulation? Is he doing rewarding activities like training for obedience or sport, using enrichment toys, playing and engaging with you? Does he have a predictable routine?

I agree with the comment that this behavior is often a symptom of insufficient need fulfillment. It’s on you to figure out what that is.

@tke129 Yup he has all that he has strict schedules with training and walks and enrichment toys.
He’s doing it when I have food, or when my so comes over and he excitedly wants to jump on them and I don’t allow it. Or if I leave the room to use the bathroom

He also wants to go pee every hour at 6 months but my vet says he’s fine

@hrse2wtr Unfortunately it's kinda impossible to solve via internet, I need to see how the dog reacts. Get a trainer, as soon as possible, the younger the dog is, the easier it will be to fix.

@thoushaltnorkill We did find a trainer and she didn’t help much.. unfortunately most trainers here charge 2k for a bunch of sessions just up front and I’d have to pay per session that was the only one reasonable enough. I’ve been trying to do it myself by reinforcing that he won’t get anything by whining

@thoushaltnorkill Sometimes dogs just whine because they are more neurotic and and bothered by situations out of both of your control. Like people coming and going, seeing another dog, seeing a prey animal, being asked to settle, or while training. You can definitely address some of it, like OPs situation where the dog is isolated, but broadly you'll still have a dog that's quick to whine. Lol, just some squeaky wheel dogs out there!

@hrse2wtr My lab used to whine a lot. Vet determined he was anxious. After trying stuff like calming chews, defusers, and music, vet decided on prozac. Now he only whines when hes VERY excited. Hes much happier. His coaches at daycare noticed a huge difference in him after a month on the meds. Less stress indicators and hes more relaxed

EDIT: i just read your comment that this is a 6mo old puppy. Dont do meds until youve tried other methods and the dog is a bit older. My lab is an adult dog not a puppy

@imagebeastmarkbeast Clearly you didnt read my whole comment and dont pretend like you know anything about my dog. He saw a vet, a veternary behaviorist, and multiple trainers about this issue. This wasnt a trainable issue for him.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I wasnt aware when i commented that it was a puppy of course that’s trainable and there’s other methods, which is why I said in my edit to not medicate the puppy. But if it was like three or four or five-year-old dog, and they were trying to train it out unsuccessfully tried all these methods, and Behaviorist couldn’t figure out the cause of the whining outside of anxiety, medication could be an option for the dog. I only left my comment in case someone wirh an adult or senior dog comes to this post looking for suggestions. I came to posts like this at first and tried everything people recommended with no success whatsoever.

@marknjohson Yeah he’s actually being sedated right now cause he was just neutered but he’s still overly excited all the time even on meds, I did buy some calming chews for after so they should hopefully help but way before he was fixed he always ran excited at my so and whined if he couldn’t or whined if he can’t get to strangers etc if he can’t get to it he’s whining

@hrse2wtr Behaviors like whining are definitely going to increase in the post neuter period because he can’t exercise and play like normal and is probably sore. To some degree he might get better when he can do more again

@tke129 Possibly but even before it he would whine if he didn’t immediately get my attention, or my food or couldn’t get to my so or strangers we see on walks. He pretty much whines anytime he can’t immediately get what he wants. And it’s weird cause he’s never been allowed to to begin with so he should know he doesn’t work

@hrse2wtr Are you working on impulse control in general with him? Like waiting when you put his food down stay training leave it etc. learning that waiting gets you paid is a skill he might not have yet?

@hrse2wtr Yeah I’m getting the sense that something is wrong with how you’re approaching training and/or your relationship. I can’t say what it is since I can’t meet you and you’ve tried the suggestions provided. Sounds like it’s time to pony up the money for someone who can be there in person to actually work with you on that

@tke129 I do have someone but she wasn’t much help she taught me a couple games like treasure chest and told me to drop the treat down to his nose and only give it him if he doesn’t react to help with the impulse issues but aside from that I was told they would help with it. Well it didn’t he doesn’t go at the treats in those situations but he still doesn’t grasp not whining.

Back