5 m/o aggression with 3 y/o

mekon

Hello,

We recently brought home a 5 m/o rescue jack Russel, and we have a 3 y/o rat terrier that we raised from a pup. Our rat terrier is attached at the hip and the light of our lives, and we wanted a friend for him. The puppy has been as all puppies are, energetic and at times annoys our existing dog which we expected. The problem is the puppy has only been with us for about 5 days and she has been VERY aggressive about food and attention since she arrived. She has snarled/bit at our other dog on multiple occasions. We do separate them for eating and when we eat to be safe but it still seems to happen even when we cuddle. It makes us very worried as our existing dog is now becoming skittish and his personality is seeming to diminish.

Does anybody have ANY advice?? I know it’s still early but it’s feeling like a risk to our existing dog more and we are having a very difficult time deciding if this is a good fit. The new puppy is very smart and cuddly, and she would fit perfectly with a family with a bolder dog but we’re just not sure if we can fix things so keeping her at this point is the right choice.

@mekon I did a lot of exercises with my two dogs where eg they both have to sit in front of me and then I say one dog’s name > give them a kibble. Say the other dog’s name > give other dog a kibble.
That way they can learn they both get treats in turn.

I do still separate them for food that takes longer to eat. One of my dogs eats up his kong a lot faster then just stares at the other while he’s eating. I think that can cause guarding no matter what.

Back