"4,000 beagles will be rescued from a Virginia breeding facility" / CNN / 12 Jul 22

ginaxmill

Link.

4,000 beagles will be rescued from a Virginia breeding facility

By Chuck Johnston, CNN

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) will transfer 4,000 beagles from a research facility in Cumberland, Virginia, to humane societies across the United States where they can be adopted, under a plan approved by a federal judge last week.

A series of inspections over the course of nine months found more than 70 animal welfare violations at the Envigo breeding facility. Mortality records reviewed by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) showed over 300 puppy deaths from January 1, 2001, to July 22, 2021, that were attributed to unknown causes. The facility also did not take any additional steps to determine the cause in order to prevent similar deaths in the future.

A motion filed in June said federal agents had already seized 446 beagles. HSUS will transport the remaining beagles from the facility at its own expense over the next approximately 60-day period.

Following last week's ruling, Inotiv, Inc., Envigo's parent company, said in a statement it "will implement an orderly closure plan" of the Cumberland facility....[continues]

I've been following this story for a while. Around 100 of these dogs came to Massachusetts a few weeks ago. They were adopted fast. We were getting "Please stop inquiring about the beagles" messages within days :).

@djung The rescue I got my beagle from has already adopted out over 400 of these dogs. If I were able to I would adopt one as well. Dogs get adopted fast in my area.

@glcn Other coast. It's not that I don't want another dog, it's that one dog is costing me $1500 a month in medical expenses and the other one is extremely reactive.

@glcn It’s all over. I’m in transport and the shelters just don’t have the room. There’s one about to close near me and they advertised on fb if all the animals don’t get adopted out they will be euthanized. It’s so so heartbreaking.

@djung They will all be gone within a day or two. There's such a huge shortage of dogs. Just our one shelter has hundreds of approved people waiting for at least a year now.

Research bloodline beagles make great pets. They are bred to be laid back and calm since a nervous anxious dog cannot be used for research.

@frankdougans Yeah I was going to say our shelters in New Orleans are overflowing. Just crates lining the hallways of dogs no one wants. Owners just dropping them off bc they either don’t want them or can’t afford them anymore. So damn sad.

@enoughhomeless It’s very sad, I don’t believe our shelter is overflowing (thankfully), but on the website they have a nice selection. My dog Dizzy was born at their old location, her mom was I think found on the streets pregnant. They have since built a new building to be able to support more animals. We also have some dogs at animal control as well and then we have multiple different rescues that foster dogs until they’re able to find a forever home for them.

@dhr I have a research bloodline beagle, and let me just say, most of them have massive issues, they are not great pets for everyone. Their anxiety signs are ignored in most research situations, because it normally doesn't affect research unless it's about behaviour. They're kept in a cage most of the time, and have lived in the same area their whole lives, so they freeze and can't deal with new situations or areas.

A veterinary behaviorist that I see with my beagle said that she did a study on beagles still in a research breeding facility and every single beagle there was showing signs of clinical anxiety, including the puppies who were only three weeks old. The puppies brains also don't develop normally because the moms are constantly stressed and those stress hormones affect the babies during their neurodevelopment. So no, the research beagles are not calm and anxiety free.

My dog came from a relatively great situation, and he was too scared to go outside for a month after I got him, and was only able to after getting on some medication. He's currently on 5 different medications just to make him function more like a normal dog, but he's still not completely normal. I love him and don't regret it, but people need to think long and hard on if they can deal with a massively fearful and behaviorally abnormal dog. I'm not saying every single one will be super bad, but I would caution against adopting one expecting a normal, happy, calm dog.

@karenk Not the reality. I've never seen a bloodline beagle full of "issues" in the lab when I was doing my doctorate. I would bet a million dollars that entire post is made up.

@yasooooo You'd lose a million dollars then. My beagle was bred at Marshall Bioresources. He has a tattoo on his right ear with his identification number. I have his papers from Marshall with his history while he was there, including his parents identification numbers and how many live siblings he had.

I'm a vet, I do distance consults with an internationally recognized veterinary behaviorist, I trust her (and myself) to understand and recognize canine fear and anxiety signs.

Just for fun, some photos, you can see the tattoo on his ear in the first one:

Back