1.5 yr old lip curled & growled at me

@bibletruths I rescued a pitbull from the city streets over 10 years ago, so I don’t really know how old he is. He’s always been super friendly with anyone and especially fond of children. I’ve never had any concerns with him in regards to accepting anyone and he’s always up for a cuddle. While he was always considered “my dog”, in the last couple years he switched from me being his favorite and now prefers spending time with my hubs in his old age. While I’ve seen aggression in him with other dogs, never, ever has he aggressed towards a person. When he has shown aggression with other dogs, the other dogs started it. My dog will politely walk past any dog, if they don’t intrude his space. I learned through the years his triggers and am very mindful to avoid those situations. My hubs was sick with CoVid a few weeks ago. Hubs was down for the count and couldn’t help with dog duties. Hubs moved into the guest room to avoid exposing me and our pitty found his place on that bed and cuddled up to hubs. When I went into the room to get the dog so he could go outside and be fed, he snarled, followed by a long low growl, wrinkled up his nose and bared his teeth at me. The logical part of me tells me that he was protecting hubs. Emotionally, it was startling and heartbreaking. The dog that I took in, gave a home to, actively trained, and was my constant companion until a couple years ago lost my trust in that moment. He was definitely ready to strike. We handled it by having hubs take him out of the room and closing the door behind the dog. Once that dog was out of the room, he allowed me to approach and leash him for a walk. That dog’s reaction completely changed my trust in him. He definitely has the capacity to bite a person. I now have to rethink how I manage his interactions with people. I know he was protecting my hubs, but absolutely floored that he was ready to strike a family member living in the same household. When he did his duty and ate, he immediately went to the guest bedroom door scratching to get in. A part of me wanted to deny him because That reaction to me was not okay. I decided to let him in the room because I have other dogs and clearly, in his current state, a threat to them. Still thinking about how to proceed moving forward.

@andrewmicheals If it really was guarding behavior, growling/teeth baring dogs don’t get to remain on the bed or furniture. Your husband needs to be the one to nudge him off the bed promptly if this occurs in the future. Otherwise, he’s nurturing the behavior as acceptable.

@andrewmicheals Have you had his vision looked at? Had him evaluated for dementia? Any chance he has a brain tumor?

I’ve seen all three of these things be the culprit for behavior changes like this. Unfortunately, brain tumor was the most common cause.

@tomm57 Thanks for suggesting those conditions as a cause. His vision is definitely not an issue. He can spot a deer from a mile away. I’ll get him vet checked for other possible causes. In the meantime, hubs is back on his feet and is in charge of attending to his needs. Until we can figure this out, people greetings are off the table. I do happen to own a 11year old bulldog with cataracts and dementia. He can get grumpy,at times, but it more of a grumbling complaint. When that dog walks into a room, he definitely shows signs of dementia. He walks into a room, stands like a statue, seemingly forgetting why he walked in. Looks around a while, retreats to his safe spaces. We’re managing the bulldog and will provide him a comfy retirement. Every dog is different but I can’t the chance of a pitbull bite. I’m

@tomm57 Seconding this, my childhood dog (teeny 15lbs beagle) was as sweet as pie but in her old age had terrible cataracts, hearing and definitely had signs of dementia.
She never bit anyone-but often just walking by her laying down she’d completely startle, jump up while growling and bearing her teeth until she calmed down enough to regain her bearings on where she was and who you were.
Old age can change a pup as much as it can a person.

@andrewmicheals Your instincts are right that he shouldn’t be allowed back into the room. He lost that privilege when he resource guarded your husband. Definitely talk with a trainer familiar with this behaviour to work through it. I’m sorry he broke your trust like that :(

@bibletruths There was a clip I watched before where her dog snapped at her. Turns out dog had some health problems. She explained dogs don't have any other way to tell us something is hurting them. Maybe check with the vet, hopefully your dog is fine.

@bibletruths My 8 month old chi pup growled and snapped at me one time when I was petting her head after she had remaining puppy teeth pulled at the vet, It was totally warranted as her mouth must have been in discomfort and I wasn’t thinking as she usually lovesssss head pats. After she healed up she went back to normal loving her head and face scritched. I’d get your baby checked by the vet just to be sure if you were petting the same place both times.

Especially since you said both times were after food, he may have a tooth that hurts and touching his head makes it feel worse.

@bibletruths My dog is 6 and the only time she has snapped at me or other people is when she is in pain. She did it to me after being injured but will still do it to other people if she doesn’t know them and they pet her hips. I took her to physiotherapy but the vet touching her hips made her even more snappy and anxious, to the point where the vet told us that she was basically able to do nothing