1.5 yr old lip curled & growled at me

@bibletruths I know it is not very often but if you could film a full interaction with the lip curl before and after it would really help experts to be able to diagnose what is happening. Maybe write everything you can remember especially right before the curl in a log you keep with you at all times that could be somewhat of a substitute for filming before and after. Once you have a log or a video come back to /r/Dogtraining or this sub and show the community to get some opinions. Best of luck.

@milliesmom I realize a video would be more helpful so folks can see the full body language situation. My goal is to not have this happen again, tho, so don’t think I’ll be able to capture it on film. I am giving him plenty of physical space today as I keep an eye on him. Good idea with the log. I just started a brief timeline note earlier but including more details sounds like a good plan.

@bibletruths Any sudden change in behaviour warrants a vet visit.

Beyond that, learning to understand your dogs communication.
Yawning and lip licking are appeasement behaviours when together. He’s saying ‘hmm I’m not sure about this’.
Lip curling and growling are warnings that have progressed. He’s now saying ‘I told you I was uncomfortable and you’re continuing. So now I have to be scarier’. These are also distance increasing behaviours. In other words, he’s asking for space.

Not saying you do this but I see it often- never punish a dogs communication. When this happens, the dog understands that its owner won’t listen to gentle reminders (growling, teeth baring etc.) and ultimately just bites without warning.

No one here can tell you WHY he was made feel uncomfortable from the little information shared so I’d take everything with caution.

@erin30ga Definitely not punishing the communication as I appreciate it. He doesn’t ever lip lick. He didn’t yawn before either of these instances. The one when he was sitting on the couch and I sat next to him I get more (me coming into his space when he’s relaxing), but the first time when he came up to me in the kitchen and sat right next to me and looked up at me only to lip curl when I pet him is the one in particular I’m not getting. I’m waiting to hear back from my vet.

@bibletruths Lip licking and yawning are just two of many ways a dog can communicate uncertainty. Just one behaviour is not enough to conclude an emotion, however a few behaviours together are a good indication. Whale eyes, avoidance, head tuck, panting, ‘kissing’, tense mouth, shifted body weight (usually as if they’re coming to an abrupt stop) are a few more indicators. Not every dog is going to use each one, it’s completely personal to the dog.

Closely watch his behaviour and see what is happening at the first sign. Two incidents are not enough to conclude anything. They could be related or completely isolated incidents.

@bibletruths You said you thought he was tired. Where does he normally sleep or snooze? Perhaps you can remind him to "go to bed" (no hint of punishment for that) when he's tired, and just don't touch him when he's resting. He might have just wanted to rest and you faffed with him, so if you reinforce that his bed is a safe place for him to be quiet and calm, that might do the trick.

@bibletruths My little guy is about the same age as yours. This is a huge but, BUT he is very vocal (not hard growling) and does lip curling and that's a part of our play since he was very young. There's been times he isn't ok with things and it's different, I mean it's obvious that it wasn't like our normal play. Like you, I noticed this instantly and I looked at what he was telling me. Trust your instincts, you're doing well. He is still in his adolescence phase. Keep luring with treats and rewarding behaviour you like.

I'm only saying this after reading all of your comments about the vet and previous behaviours.

Edit: Here is 1 example: he was telling me that he doesn't want to roll over on his bed while lying down. It's my bed and he was in the middle of it. I stopped and coxed him into what I wanted, he repeated the behaviour a few times but stopped within a month.

@bibletruths I would really get in to see the vet and do a pain assessment. Dogs are so stoic and hide their pain, so you may not get other indicators that physical pain is the issue. When you go in, be sure to tell them all of the context!

Not a vet, but have there been any signs of indigestion? Just considering that both instances happened after eating!

@brethrenboy No signs of digestive distress - he’s eating and pooping normally. Playful and energetic as always while getting plenty of sleep. Generally happy disposition other than these two instances of lip curl/growl. You’re right tho that dogs hide their pain. Wish it was just clear to me that he actually is in pain if he is.

@bibletruths if there was nothing else going on, I would really make an appointment with the vet if you’re able to. Through fostering I’ve had a couple experiences where dogs were super sweet but there was something a little off that was completely solved by diagnosing and treating their pain. Both times the fixes were actually very affordable and easy!

@bibletruths Could he have perhaps had a negative experience due to that interaction where he had got scabs? Did he seem scared or stressed after that happened?

He could have had a bit of a negative interaction that involved his head, and both times, you stroked him there, and it re-reminded him of the stress/pain. Which would explain why he gave you such an obvious "No" signal.

It could also be adolescence. Some days, they just get extra grumpy, whether that's due to frustration or hormones. Perhaps he did it once on one of these days. You reacted in a way he wanted you to (You didn't move him and left him alone), and so he tried it again. It worked again, and it might be likely that he will try again in the future.

Or, as everyone else is saying, it could be pain. I definitely agree that taking him to the vets is a good idea (I saw you're already on top of that!) to rule anything medical out. Dogs show pain in strange ways, and being overly snappy is a pretty common one. If it is not pain, however, the two first suggestions are possibilities.

Good luck, OP. I hope your boy is alright and everything continues to be nice with him 💜

@bibletruths Maybe you could try crate training so he can have his own cozy space to go to when he feels like being left alone. I have a very small dog but crate trained her when she was about 10 years old. She’s quite dramatic and goes into the crate when she’s feeling pissy at me

@bibletruths I wonder if his teeth hurt or something. So I had a roommate dog in the past that was sweet as can be but one day kept barking and growling at me when I pet her head. She seemed absolutely fine otherwise so I didn’t understand where the sudden aggression came from and told my roommate about it, who often paid me in food for dog sitting her (I worked from home she didn’t). Turns out she had a toothache! Vet said she was probably just super cranky and that barking at her head being pet was her way of trying to let us know.

It made sense in her case because whenever I’d pet her back, her chest or belly rubs she was absolutely fine! Dogs can be so odd sometimes when it comes to pain, because they get distracted by other things and tend to ignore it and find ways to communicate that to their humans.

@bibletruths Most dogs don’t like to be bothered while their sleeping. Is this a common thing you do?

Likely it’s been building up over time and the dogs now pushed to make personal boundaries. Thankful for dogs who growl and don’t just jump to bites.

Your probably missing non verbal calming signals that are given prior to you going in for a pet that it’s unwanted at that time.

Overall try to be more aware & respect your dog when he wants alone time. Can start with if he’s sleeping or laying down that’s probably a clear sign he’s not looking for interaction ;)