“Place” advice

noroadsleft

I take my dog to work w me and the environment (a warehouse) is always changing. Not to mention that home and work are different places too. (She spends more hours at work than home).

She has a crate at work that she loves to go in, but I try not to let her hide away all day.

Other places for her to lie down change often depending on what project I’m working on or how cluttered the workspace is. (And how possessive our other dog is being of the warehouse couch 😂).

My question is - she knows “house” means her crate, but I always read “place” is an important command to teach.

What do you use for place if it’s always an evolving environment and that place won’t stay consistent?

Is it really an important command if they already have “house” as an option?

@noroadsleft You need something consistent, or it won't work. Get a mat, easily replicated towel (a basic color), or a light dog bed and associate "place" with that item. Something that can move around the warehouse as needed.

You may have to continuously point to said item you choose when you want your dog to go there, though, if you're constantly moving its location.

My dog's "place" is a flat dog bed that I move around the house as needed. He's a velcro dog, so I bring it to whatever room I'll be in for a while lol.

@morning_star123 Adding onto this,

We have essentially cots that are dog sized.

You train them with the cot as it's and elevated surface, they'll learn much quicker than if it were not changing elevation, and they're super comfy. My dogs love them.

To train, you'd essentially just throw treats on it or lure them onto it and pay them when they touch it and slowly evolve to being fully on it. Then you move it around, put it in a bedroom and lure them onto it there, changing locations will print a picture in their mind that the "place" is the elevated cot surface, and it can be anywhere.

You may need to train them in different areas of your work place as well until it's really drilled home.