Zak George has started a whole series on training and dealing with a very reactive adolescent German Shepherd

I know a lot of people (including myself) can really find the guy annoying/draining, but there actually is some real meat and potatoes to this series.

This is a link to the first episode. Very dog reactive, and just typical nervousness and over vigilance.

I actually have really dug this, figured some other people with reactive animals might as well. Looks like there are 5 episodes so far. The premise is like a 2 week intensive rehab on a reactive dog. Good stuff.

@angelic_melody987 This is probably my favorite of his series. The only problem is he says he only has 2 weeks and you can't really "fix" reactivity in 2 weeks, but it does show how much progress you can make with consistent effort in a short amount of time.

His next dog is a rescue pitbull.

I like using rescue dogs and also adult dogs as they come with baggage that puppy training doesn't have.

I like that he shows it's not like you teach a concept and the dog is perfect or never has setbacks. It's always a work in process.

I don't mind his energy. I also like Absolute Dogs but my friend finds them too over the top.

@julie3685 Right like my shepherd, we found him at 10. It took me 2 YEARS to rehabilitate him. Where he used to nip out of excitment, now he grabs a bone and wags his butt. Where he used to bark at guests for like an hour after they get here, now he barks for 20 seconds. He used to bite you if you tried to take a bone or bowl of food away, and now my 1 year old can wear his food as a hat and he just looks at us like "are you seeing this?" Used to fight if any dog tried to play, even his brother our American Bulldog, now he plays tug with said dog no issues. There are countless examples.

He has come so far and it's so amazing what you can do. I'm so glad we didn't give up on him. He used to have redirected aggression and attacked his brother once when another dog was nearby. He then tried to rip my husband's arm off. We almost put him down, but the remorse he showed when we told him it was him who hurt my husband (who had 11 stitches). He literally thought he was fighting the other dog. The remorse he showed honestly blew my mind and helped me see just how emotionally complex the psychology of a dog can be.

He never bit anyone ever again after that. Not even as a mistake. He is now the most gentle monster I've ever known, and the happiest dog.

Can he meet strange dogs? Not unless you want an ER visit. Does he bark at every person we drive past and spook them thinking he is saying hi? Of course, naturally. He will always have issues, but he is always getting better too, and he wants to be good.

Never give up on a person who genuinely wants to be good.

@reshma Thanks for sharing that! Rescue dogs have often been treated so horribly or neglected that it’s not their fault they have baggage. So many people throw them away when it gets tough (which it almost always is with a rescue). Thanks for saving a life and being patient!

@gd4l He is the most wonderful companion there is, so obedient, so loving, so happy. It was worth every incident. We have major incidents so infrequently now, we made it, ya know?

@reshma How'd you get your dog to play with other dogs? My rescue plays with my girlfriend and me normally. She can be a bit loud and growly, but never bites or nips at us. However, she has never played with another dog as long as we've had her and will not play with our other dog as well. In fact, if she gets too excited or runs around with another dog accessible she gets aggressive and pins the other dog. It's as if her mind has a switch that very easily turns from "get the ball" to "GET THAT DOG." If she's not already running or playing, she is very good with other dogs. Just chills and sniffs some butts.

@black_velvet A big part of it was my energy in general. It's very easy to get nervous and anxious and your dog will feed on those emotions. I started by playing tug with each dog where I am in the middle, and eventually, using a very long rope, I removed myself. Whenever they'd start playing, I'd clap and cheer and be like "who's going to win? What a fun game! Let's play!" Repeating words they know already like fun and game and play which are all positively associated.

Whenever one of them loses, I clapped and cheered and gave them all bones. That stopped them from fighting to get back into tug position, like, teaching them how to disengage in a healthy way.

Dogs can be really competitive. It's important to show them it's just a game somehow. My Taco has always has reactive aggression, though. He doesn't start fights. He plays too hard and other dogs don't know what to do and get aggressive, and then my Taco fights. Know what I mean? So I am not sure this will work for you or not.

@telldtruth Barking at strangers is an easy one! Grab a bone and get him to pick that up. Rub his butt and say "good bone!!" If he is doing stuff you don't like, chewing on a pillow, say, take the pillow away and say nothing, no yelling, no scolding, nothing. Then give the bone, then praise like crazy and butt rubs. Dogs often misbehave for attention, so don't give them any (negative attention is still attention to them). Show them they get happier attention and faster if they behave.

We have a supply of little rawhide bones and every time someone arrives for a party, he gets a bone right away. "Show them your bone, Taco!" And he still barks a little, but now he mostly runs over with his bone and awaits the butt rubs, and I clued all my friends in on not speaking to him if he is barking or whatever and only praising him and rubbing his butt if he is greeting them the right way. It took some time and practice of course.

The food guarding is a bit trickier, and you're not going to like how we fixed it (and it won't work for every dog). Our old man here has a very high metabolism and a lot of energy, and he just doesn't put on any weight, so we feed him a LOT. Any time he starts acting aggressive towards the cats or grumpy towards the baby, we feed him some hot dogs. When he is full, he's perfectly pleasant, so we keep him full.

Just like humans, dogs like having variety in their diet. We use Hills Science Diet for Large Dogs like you might use rice, as a base, and then we mix in a serving or a half serving of various meats and cheeses. Half a chicken breast and a tablespoon of cheddar, with a cup of crunchy food, for instance.

Another key is that dogs want to eat as a pack. When it's time for us to eat, everyone eats. We do have to put our puggle in the kitchen how that he has diabetes and has gone blind. He just follows his nose to whatever smells good, which sometimes is his brothers' bowls haha.

The last incident we had resulted from us over estimating how recovered our shepherd was, and not realizing how insatiably hungry our puggle would be. Puggle goes for the shepherd's bowl on a day where we had missed lunch, and the shepherd is super hungry, the shepherd snarls at the puggle, and the puggle doesn't back off like he usually would, but snarls back. The shepherd's aggression switch is halfway flipped, when the bulldog jumps across the room in between him and the puggle to tank any damage.

Our American bulldog does great fighting control. He bites hard right behind the ear so other dogs can't continue using their jaws and he waits until it's safe, as in, we have things under control, and then just let's go. So my shepherd had a gnarly bite that healed ok without stiches, and half his ear got torn off when we pulled them apart. He looks metal af, but he's still happy!

After this for a while he was quick to move out of the way, looking down and away a lot, scared to start eating, obviously anxious of his brother. So I just sat the shepherd down and reminded him the bulldog still loves him, and of course the bulldog is trying to lick and clean his wounds which the shepherd hates. I helped ensure he had space to recover, and slowly as the pain faded, so did the anxiety.

Since then, there has been 0 food aggression, even if we missed a meal. That was the final straw he needed to be totally calm about food. I reminded him of course that there is unlimited food in the kitchen, that I could have just gotten him more, and there'd be no pain right now, that kind of thing. Now, if he is nervous he might have a reaction, he won't even start eating until everyone else is out of the room or busy eating themselves.

So we had mostly solved it with abundance and variety, and the last piece was him realizing he can't win a fight against the bulldog, and the bulldog will protect the puggle. He realized then that he looks scary even when he doesn't feel scary, and now he has more self awareness of his issue.

I hope any of this helps! Happy to answer more questions and dissect this further, but of course, it's so long already, so I'll leave it for now.

@reshma Thank you so much!! I will likely ask more questions, but first - I find that my dog gets over threshold quickly when people come to the yard or into my home. And is in a very stressed out state. I am interested in trying this though. He already grabs things in excitement when I come home. I may have to do toys since he is also a resource guarder. Or a bone type thing he doesn’t guard. But sounds like I can start to promote that in less stressed states to practice and then move it to more stressed states.

@telldtruth Yes, my shepherd had stress whenever people arrived at first and would snarl at people, especially at night, and he used to guard bones and even bit my husband over it once. You have to have an unlimited supply of rawhides in a place he can get them on his own, and you have to do the "good bone!" training in the absence of strangers first

Because of the nipping, we used to get Taco into the kitchen, opposite the front door. I'd give him a treat, and say "so and so is here and coming in, ok? You have to be nice. No nipping, more treats, got it?" Stuff like that. Repetition is key and tone too. You need a tone for "no, you messed up" AND a tone for "you are almost going to mess up". I use the latter as a warning. The other dogs would greet first and be calm by the time we let Taco back into the main room. The calm energy helped too.

@reshma Also interesting on the abundance thing. I don’t really know if my dog would gain weight. He’s young and active so probably not a problem right now.

@telldtruth Right, so then once he is healthy, you can dial it back and trim him down a bit. Taco still needs variety, but he no longer eats to excess to be happy

@reshma Right now I live in a place where I can’t have unlimited supply of rawhides without always playing referee. I live in a place where there are other dogs and one that specifically likes to come into my apartment and steal shit. But i will soon live in a place where my dog is the only dog. I may be able to find ways of doing it. But for now I am working on resource guarding in other ways and will try out distracting him with a toy or bone when “strangers” come over.

@telldtruth If there is a dog that does not live in your house coming in to steal stuff, you absolutely have to stop it. Dogs are majorly territorial, and they always know because of their stronger noses. This will almost surely result in anxiety for your pup. I am happy to help you brainstorm if you give me more context. Why and how does this neighbor dog get into your house?

@reshma I basically live in an “in-law” suite. There are 4 dogs on the property. We are essentially house mates but with separate apartments. I often regulate this and don’t let the dog into my apartment. It can be confusing because my dog loves to play with that dog. There is always an initial “hey get out of here” that then turns into play. More recently I have been just making my dog go outside and then closing the door.

I’ll be living here for 3 more months then moving into a place without another dog. Which I look forward to because it is stressful.

@julie3685 I just watched him for the first time, and he’s not nearly as annoying as the absolute dogs people. They have a valid training message, but their delivery is so incredibly aggravating.

@julie3685 Absolute Dogs certainly know their stuff but the OTT “Yeah! Groovy! Hahaha everything is awesome! Everything is hilarious! Yay!” style gets on my last nerve. I don’t want to be educated by people who treat me like a 5 year old.