(x-post r/dogtraining) Need Guidelines for 6-Week Old Pup

mbennett024

They said he's a rottweiler-lab mix, and he definitely looks like a rottweiler pup.

I have no frame of reference as to whether he's more or less well-behaved/trained compared to other pups, but he gives us no problems aside from whining when he poops so we can clean up the pad he uses. (Not technically a problem)

He was, however, rather thin when we got him, and he still has a lice infestation, which we've been working on since we got him (Wednesday).

We've made him a small 5-foot pen enclosed with short but wide pieces of drywall in the wood-flooring dining room, and take him out on walks every day. He has a rope chew toy, a ball, and a rubber bone to play with at all times.

I just wanted to know what general guidelines I should follow in training him or playing with him. I also don't know how to start training him, as he doesn't even know his own name yet.

Additional Info:

Went to the vet today and got him dewormed. Will be coming back for shots next week. The vet also confirmed that he's 6 weeks old, not 8 weeks as his previous family said.

Just wanted to know how much I should train him (if at all) as I have no experience with puppies, and with him being too young (some folks told me to give him back if possible, which isn't), I probably should focus on getting him some other pups to socialize with.

@mbennett024 Okay so not many people have a lot of advice for 6 week old pups since many get their's later at the 8-12 week range which is a whole different animal.

I ended up with my Boxer early at 6 weeks, but my breeder had my back and coached me through it. For those who are wondering the mother developed a breast infection mid pregnancy and to be safe all 7 pups were hand fed by the breeder and her family with constant trips for mom and pups to the vet throughout the stressful process. I agreed, asked really, to take Eleanor early to relieve my breeder of one pup so she could have fewer to watch after and I would bring Ellie numerous times to socialize, which I did.

At 6 weeks, the pup should be eating mush with bits of kibble and water mixed into their food so you know for a fact they are drinking. Potty time should be super frequent so keep an eye on that. Try not to over feed or let them drink too little or too much since they can get plugged up, pee every 5 minutes, or dehydrate easily. So a consistent schedule will be needed to make sure potty training starts off on a good foot.

Training, you can just start with his name and seeing if he will come to you or potty training with treats. Nothing super hard or crazy like a sit or down yet, wait about a week or two and with some food and treats he should be able to pick it up fast. Why? Well at 6 weeks they're still learning the world around them and not all their senses are up to par so actually following lures can be tricky, 7-8 weeks it is much easier to teach things like sit since they are more developed. Right now it's okay to just have zero expectations because he's so young and does not understand much at all. Just shoot for getting some kind of potty training foundation down for now.

Biting will be the main concern with a pup that came home at 6 weeks. Nip it in the bud now, they nip you yelp and stop attention or get up until he stops biting. Yes it's precious now but in a week or two it's not going to be as cute. It's mostly something he would've learned from his littermates or his mom around 6 weeks so now it's up to you to teach him that biting is not nice by yelping like his littermates would have. It will be an on going process so just be consistent and patient.

When he is of age for puppy classes in your area, I would certainly sign him up so he can get in some well needed puppy socializing since he will be missing a portion of it already. It's not super serious that he's behind on it as long as you step up and let him have positive interactions with other puppies and dogs once he's 8-16 weeks old and on wards.

I hope this helped. I know 6 weeks can be a very trying time so just hang in there!

@seek2bboldwitness Are puppies normally hard to handle? Mine just has biting issues, but that's it. I use potty pads in his pen in addition to frequent potty breaks outside. I'm not allowed to have him walking freely around the house, so when he's not in his 5-foot square pen, I take him outside (and I live in the sticks, so outside is actually outside) for short but frequent walks.

I'm also completely aware that cute little nips right now won't be the same once he grows inch-long meat shredders for teeth. I'm just not sure how to stop him. I say "No" in an assertive (not loud) voice and leave him along for a while, but he bites EVERY time I sit down and play with him.

Also, how do I train him to recognize his name? And recall commands, if possible.

@mbennett024 Depends on the puppy really. Some can be easy as can be while others seem like they were sent from the depths of hell.

The only thing I'd say about potty training right now is you may wish to phase out the pads sooner rather than later, of course this will mean you'll need to be taking him outside much more frequently, but it will be less work to do now than in a month or two when he's used to the pad.

Just make sure to ignore accidents (no yelling, scolding, rubbing face in it, etc) and clean them with an enzyme removing cleaner so he doesn't keep going in the same places. When he goes outside lots of treats! He may not understand it at all right now but he will catch on fast when food comes.

Since he is so young I wouldn't walk him much, maybe a little game of follow me where you run and call his name and he chases after you a short distance then rinse and repeat for a few minutes. He's going to be sleeping a lot so he can grow so nothing strenuous for now maybe in a month to a month and a half some real 15-30 minute walks but for now just some light play.

I get you on the biting. It was rough for me since Ellie did not have her litter mates around 24/7 and my two older dogs did not like correcting her when she was small so it was biting galore for a while there. Honestly best thing is to yelp and cease all attention until he stops. He doesn't understand what no means or really even the tone used right now so you have to use a language he understands, a yelp which is an ow! and no more fun. It will take a lot of time and consistency and after a while he will get it that biting means all fun stops and dad/mom? stop playing which isn't what he wants.

Recall he really isn't going to get down until he's a bit older you can try the follow me game I mentioned earlier while calling his name to get him started. Another would be to walk a short distance away (2 feet maybe) and dramatically, super flashy/big gesture so he sees you, drop a crunchy treat( makes noise) at your feet and when he goes to inspect the area and grab the treat you call his name or say come, then rinse and repeat until he gets it down from further and further away.

One book I absolutely loved when I was having to raise Ellie from so young was Dr. Sophia Yin's Perfect Puppy in 7 days since it goes over what each week means developmentally for the puppy and what to do to get them on the right track with recall, training and most importantly socialization with other puppies, people, and things.

@seek2bboldwitness Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Really gives me some solid guidelines for making sure he grows up right. I'll also check out that book.

Btw, he seems to bite a lot less now. He gives me a minute or two of sitting and playing with him before he nips my hand. Different story for when I'm standing, though, as he just gnaws at my sandals or toes.

Older brother, actually.

@mbennett024 You might want to head over to /r/puppy101 and read through the wiki for general advice. You can also read through posts from other puppy owners. Also, I think the wiki in this sub has some book and video channel recommendations too.