Wont stop whining

jaroslawny

I have an almost 6 month old beagle puppy who constantly whines when he doesn’t get what he wants in his crate. He is played with enough, has enough stimulation all through the day. Doesn’t matter if we put toys in his crate for him, something to chew on, when he decides he’s done with his crate he whines endlessly and digs into his crate cover. I dont think it’s anxiety more than just stubbornness because he is usually laying down when he is whining. I’ve tried to wait him out since he was 8 weeks old. I really don’t have any more solutions and it’s driving me crazy. He also does the same in his playpen but he at least stops eventually and plays by himself. He is on a 1 hour awake 2 hour nap schedule and he has been also not sleeping his whole 2 hours as of a couple days now. Is this something he will just grow out of or is there something else I should try?

@jaroslawny Whining is something your just gonna have to get used to with most beagle pups. On average they grow out of it 12-16 months.
Excuse yourself to another room if you really can't just zone it out.

Scrap the sleep schedule. Or at least be flexible with it, 1hr awake 2 sleeping is very regimented.

Longtime beagle owner so if you need any tips drop me a PM

@jaroslawny Can't guarantee he'll grow out of it but you can discourage it -- walk away when he's whining. Don't be in the room. Don't let him out until he's quiet. Don't talk to him or tell him to stop (no matter how much you want to yell "shut up!!" sometimes) -- nothing. Any attention reinforces it.

@jaroslawny Yeah they do, very vocal breed.

My latest girl still has a moan everynow and then (3 years old).

So long as they are fed, watered and well exercised you needn't worry too much.

As a random note research scent games to play with your beagle. This will be your best way to bond and play with them, if you can learn to harness their nose training will be a easy.

@jaroslawny "He is played with enough, has enough stimulation all through the day".

enough is pretty hard to measure and dogs can't tell time. Between crate and playpen, how much physical exercise and free time to interact with peole is he getting?

Maybe lighten up on the schedule and wear that pup out a bit more.

@aaronfrisien He plays either outside or inside (mainly outside) with either me or my girlfriend an hour then naps for two hours, then repeat. He goes on 2 walks a day, or one superlong one. He is constantly interacting with us. We both are at home all the time so he only isn’t getting interaction for maybe a couple hours a week when we both go do something.

@jaroslawny one hour play followed by two hour naps on repeat. He might be bored and whining is a pass time.

By this he's meant to sleep 2/3rds of the day and then through the night? sounds the wrong way around for me.

@aaronfrisien That’s the schedule I’ve seen recommended for puppies and what’s been working for a while now. I’m going to try to go to more than an hour but usually by an hour he’s no longer interested in his toys or playing, just wants to be destructive or lay down . It’s only been the past 5 or so days he’s been extra whiny

@jaroslawny dogs are individuals. And as they develop so do their sleep needs. If he gets destructive give him the time out but if he's not tired sleep might not come and he'll whine about it. experiment.

@aaronfrisien My issue isn’t with his whining when he goes in, he’s eventually settles then. My issue is that once he’s awake he won’t stop whining, not even long enough for me to go get him. I’ve tried ignoring, giving toys in his crate, etc. but he is stubborn. And it’s not from having to use the bathroom. Or anxiety it seems like because he is usually laying down when complaining

@jaroslawny He's a beagle, man. I hate to break it to you but he's going to tell you about his day and everything he sees, smells, and thinks about his whole life.

@jaroslawny This sounds like our puppy. We were on the same sleep schedule, but our puppy’s sleep needs definitely changed around 6 months. She now does 2 hours or so up and 1-1.5 hour down for a nap, but she sleeps from pretty much 8pm to 6:30am (and then a long nap in the mornings from 7-9). We’ve also had to play around with how much exercise she gets - she’s a breed that loves to run so once a day we take her out to get her sprints and wiggles out (without overdoing it because she’s a puppy). We do a couple long sniff walks a day, a few 5-10 minute training sessions, and take her with us everywhere we go for at least one outing a day. All of this has made settling in her crate and around the house a lot easier and less whiny. But honestly, much like your guy, she’s a vocal breed and is always going to be.

@dkproxy Yeah I think I’m going to increase his walk time since it seems like he needs more of something but I think he’s just very vocal when he’s annoyed. He’s fine when he goes in the crate. It’s the waking up part and realizing he’s still in his crate I guess that irritates him

@jaroslawny Why do you have him on a napping schedule? He’s probably frustrated that you are putting him in his crate while you’re still doing things around the house. Usually crate should be for when you leave and when you’re going to bed. A crate should be a safe place for your pup but what you’re doing is essentially putting him in “time out” where he now associates the crate as a punishment because you’re there and he can’t get to you.

Try just letting him exist while you’re home and can watch him. Don’t try to enforce nap time becuase they’re not humans, they don’t get nap time. I’ve owned dogs my entire life and grew up with a K9 trainer and handler as a father and I have never heard of a nap schedule.