Why might my dog be barking viciously whenever a family member comes in the house?

legend424

This is a very distressing thing in my life right now, as I have an anxiety disorder. I can’t handle the vicious barking multiple times a day, and I’m becoming very unstable and afraid.

My dog, Riley, is close and friendly with my whole family. When my sister comes in through the garage door or front door, my dog will bark viciously until we come over to her or speak loudly. Sometimes the speaking doesn’t work. Petting her always works. We don’t know by she will continue to bark viciously when we are all in the house.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.
Riley was given to me 2 years ago as a pup, and I cannot morally give her to a shelter or give her away. I’m exhausted of being rattled in my own home 4-5 times a day.

@legend424 Its common for dogs to "alert bark". Its not so much vicious, as it's the dog's way of saying "you are coming into my house and my territory! this is a warning for you to leave!" like how people in horror movies always call out "Who's there?!"
Training is a simple way to fix the problem. Find what motivates your dog. Often it is food. Keep her attention on you, and on the food when people enter. Reward her with the food when she keeps her focus on you, rather than barking at whoever enters. Do this repeatedly for several days. You need to break her of the habit.
If this fails to work, consult a professional pet trainer before giving her up. Often alert barking is misconstrued as aggression, and so dogs in shelters who alert bark are at higher risk of euthanasia

@legend424 Kind of unrelated but my neighbors have about 10 dogs (beagles) in their backyard which is next to my house and they literally all bark day and night. It keeps me up, wakes me up, disturbs me while I work and relax. I am where I hear barking even when they arent barking. I also feel where you are coming from. It makes my heart rate and anixeity go up. Where it puts me in horrible moods with constant migranes. Plz help!

Back