Who will miss him but me?

dike

I knowingly adopted a reactive dog. I've gone through hell keeping him safe and learning how to be calm around triggers. We made great progress until first the Yorkies across the street and then a few weeks later the Schnauzers down the block were allowed to run loose through the neighborhood and corner us on walks. Our whole neighborhood is now a trigger. We work in the back yard if we're not getting straight into the car before the little dogs can react.

His life is small, but stable, and he seems pretty content when we don't have people trying to break into our garage.

Yesterday I asked my Other Half to ask the vet about a pain medication trial for my dog, a pit mix, when O.H. picked up my dog's allergy medicine. We'd trialed pain meds once 6 mo ago at his yearly (sedated) physical, and it didn't seem to change anything then, so we were told to give glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for a few months and try it again if there was a decline.

Well, I'm seeing decline, hence the ask. What did the vet say? "I don't jump to pain medications right away. Try Cosequin for 3 mo."

When I got this info, I mistakenly assumed that Other Half was still at the vet and reminded him of the fact that we're already at step 3 of this plan and I was saying "He's hurting, we should try again."

Nope, he was already gone, allergy meds only in hand because the Cosequin is more expensive than we can afford right now (I have enough for him until next pay day).

I felt blown off and ignored.

Early this morning I had a dream... THAT dream we all have when we struggle with our dogs. He was gone. "Put down." The big gray bed in the corner was empty. Nothing was snoring from the floor by my feet while I typed a work email. No remarkably little wimpy bark at the delivery truck back up beeper or the children screaming in play on the sidewalk.

The center of my constant thoughts for 5 years was just gone. O.H. (in the dream) didn't care. Vet? Didn't care. Neighbors? Happy to get another "evil pit bull" out of their neighborhood while they let the toy breed dogs that charged and attacked him on 3 separate occasions run off leash with all the same reactivity behavior he gives back when he's on leash.

I'm still sad even though I know it's a dream because, realistically, it's not that far from reality. Most days, it really feels like I'm the only person in the world that cares about this dog and his quality of life. Is he giving up and "ready for the Bridge"? Not by a long shot; it's just getting hard for him to get up the steps once in a while. We're not closing the book yet.

But I wish I wasn't the only person fighting for him instead of just fighting his triggers.

(P.S.-- There are other subs for people who don't like his breed mix. Don't bring your prejudices here to this thread, please.)

@dike No one's going to miss my girl but me (I don't think even my Labrador) but that's fine, I'm her human. It's our bond, the rest of the world can fuck off.

@lyndam I think it drew into focus how I miss my other dogs that have passed and dogs from family members' homes, etc. but this guy doesn't have many 'friends'.

@dike I get it. My Astrid doesn't like any other dogs (well, eventually, but they have to prove themselves over months). She was super bonded with my first Lab but cancer got him. My new Lab she was great with as a puppy but when he got bigger than her ... Nope. He would love to love her (he's super social) but is a little afraid of her (she's never harmed him but she's ... well, this is her: http://flying-geek.blogspot.com/2021/05/adopt-dont-shop-not-so-fast.html )

She loves people and goes for scritches whenever she can (my Lab usually shoves her out of the way in his enthusiasm), and has endeared herself to our local Zoom Room crew, who form a human wall so she can get from the agility area to outside (through a lobby) without seeing the other dogs who are around. I found a private "beach" you only have to trespass a little to get to (my Lab goes to the official one and romps with gusto). I've had to deal with a neighbor who attacked us (got a restraining order against him; now he's on the HOA board fml). I take her to the office so she's not dealing with dogs walking past our condo. My partner (law) hates her but can't lose me so he puts up with it.

One of my neighbors, who has an asshole of a Jack Russell terrier, makes shitty comments whenever we see him, like "why haven't you put that bitch down yet?" (She's like maybe barked at his dog once or twice in 10 years - after his dog starts shit. He's just an asshat.)

But whatever. She's a senior (I pulled her from death row in 2011 as an adult; she's probably 13? 14?). She's my snuggle bug.

I have a feeling you're in the same spot with your ride or die.

@lyndam Okay. This guy has an Astrid-type history-- shelter, attacks, big question marks for his first few years, street cred to the tune of knowing how to open dumpsters and kick man holes to scare up mice and roaches.

These last years (he's at least 9, maybe closer to 11?) are always the tough ones, aren't they?

@dike She'a on Dasuquin for her joints (and now she can jump in my Wrangler again, almost like she used to). I got her comfy beds for home and the office (she mostly just chills on my bed, but with those sonar ears, if I even whisper to my Lab "where's your sister?" She's in front of me in a flash, with treat FOMO). She's going in on the 3rd for removal of a small mass on her leg that looks like a mushroom cap. :( I don't think I'd go five figures in debt for chemo for her if she has cancer (did that for my last Lab only to lose him after 5 months anyway), but I'd do everything else for her. I will miss her. I love her. But she has never been easy, and life will be simpler... She was a "death row" pull, and I'm grateful she let me in to save her and I'm honored she trusted me enough to let me be her human for over a decade.

@dike My rescue girl was fearful and likely in some type of puppy mill situation. Once she starting developing age-related issues, I promised her she’d always feel safe and loved and comfortable no matter what I had to do. We all age and die, but to have companionship and especially as a dog, an owner to watch for your best interests is a soul touching, bittersweet thing. Yes, the last years are hard, but the role you play is so significant to them that it’s all that matters. He doesn’t think of the friends he’s never had. He thinks of the love and safety he has now that he didn’t before. And you do that for him.

@lyndam I just want you to know that your pup sounds great regardless of what other people think. I read this and honestly it really upsets me the way people are. The guy who attacked you and the guy who always says go put her down can go fuck themselves. These people and everyone with reactive little dogs like the ones OP said are just bad humans. I adopted (but ended up turning into sort of a short term foster due to some bad circumstances) a small Yorkie mix that would bark at any dog or person she saw and would pull hard on her leash (as hard as a Yorkie mix can) and from personal experience you don't have to be an amazing dog owner to at least care. Reactive is reactive regardless of size and people who don't care or think it's funny just because the dog is small are irresponsible. I wish big reactive dogs were treated with more kindness and small ones with more respect

@lyndam Really resonated with your post about Astrid, esp the strict applications for Los Angeles applicants. I basically had to prove myself to the org I just adopted from by fostering 8 dogs first.

@dike I just wanted to say… I have a pit bull who is really scared of strangers. Always has been ever since she was 6 months old. Someone hurt her badly before we adopted her and it’s made her hard to trust people. I think there is maybe 9 people in this whole world who she trusts. And when she does trust you, it’s with her everything. She is the best, most sensitive, loving dog I’ve ever known and I get sad thinking about how no one really gets to experience her like that.

Then I remember that this dog who barely trusts anyone trusts me. I’m one of her chosen ones. If 9 humans friends are enough for her, then why should I worry about it? ❤️

@dike I get caught up in the what-ifs and the how-will-I-deals with my dog a lot. Even if I don't know your dog personally, I'd miss him with you. If that day comes and no one else is there for you, please let me know. I can be with you in your loss.

@dike Has anybody talked to your neighbors about their off leash dogs? In many places there are laws against such things. Even if there aren't specific laws, it's considered bad form to just let your dogs run free and cause issues. I'd be talking to those neighbors asap.

Back