Which adult food should I switch to? /puppy with a history of GI issues

c123

It's been quite the journey with our puppy and her many stomach issues. There have been many sleepless nights and so. much. diarrhea. and an equal amount of vet bills and tests. Even when her tummy was good, her stools stayed soft. We tried so many different puppy foods for sensitive stomachs including Purina ProPlan and Royal Canin. Royal Canin's GI puppy calmed her tummy when she had a parasite but it was too expensive long-term and can only be purchased from a vet's office. So finally I got talking to another dog owner who said that they did one of those bioresonance sensitivity tests. I read skeptical opinions on this sensitivity test, yet we decided to try it out. I am not endorsing this test and I am actually pretty surprised that it turned out to be relevant. We cut out everything that she is apparently highly sensitive to and finally found a puppy food that suits her stomach perfectly. She hasn't had any stomach issues ever since going on Open Farm puppy food and we have been able to sleep through the night consistently which has done wonders for everyone's health.

Open Farm recently changed its puppy food recipe now containing things like flaxseed which she is sensitive to. As Open Farm has been the food that has kept her stools healthiest (it also has pretty high fibre content), I was hoping to put her on Open Farm adult food but couldn't find a single recipe that works with her sensitivities.

I feel like every recipe I have found has something off with it, either a problematic brand image or an ingredient that people are highlighting. I am looking at Orijen (linked to DCM), Acana (DCM), Taste of the Wild (DCM), Instinct, Purina Beyond® Grain Free Farm-Raised Chicken & Egg Recipe Dry Dog Food (contains the questionable Menadione). My soon-to-be adult puppy doesn't take well to food with corn, flaxseed, chia seed, carrots, sardines or cinnamon among other things (e.g. we were wondering why Purina ProPlan GI food didn't work for her and then discovered that the fish oil they use is made from sardines). All the recommended top-researched dog food brands have corn in their recipes. Carrots and flaxseed are common too. So I will likely have to pick from brands outside the "big kibble".

Long story short, I am looking for some recommendations for good quality brands that produce corn-free dog food. Thank you!

@c123 Those "sensitivity" tests are complete garbage. You likely accidentally removed something and/or an underlying problem got resolve around the same time. The ONLY way to appropriately diagnose a food allergy or sensitivity is with a prescription elimination diet.

I would definitely not mess around with DCM-related diet on the basis of a test that is known for false positives.

Given the medical issues at play, a vet is really needed here

@c123 FirstMate and PetCurean Go! Solutions. These are the brands that I have been feeding my Huskies since they were puppies. Both are family owned, and made in Canada. They have grain free and grain inclusive (corn free) options, and most of their recipes are limited ingredient, which helps dogs with allergies and sensitivities.

@c123 The sensitivity tests aren't very accurate. Elimination diets are great but you also eliminated everything at once when it could really just be one thing.

If you want to stick with what the sensitivity test said - Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach - does not have any of the listed ingredients if you get the Salmon and Rice or Lamb and Oat versions. They are Corn, Soy, and Wheat free products and also don't contain Sardines, Carrots, Chia, or Cinnamon.

Back