Where my 5 A.M. puppy owners at?

roboryan

Anyone else here have a puppy that loves to wake up at precisely 5 A.M. every morning no matter what time you put them to bed??

Anyone who was able to overcome this, what's your secret?

Sincerely,

Exhausted :)

@roboryan Yes! This weekend she slept until 7:30 AM & it was a miracle. We happened to be a little bit tipsy on Friday night so let her sleep in the bed with us. Wondering if we need to do that again. ;)

@josscarter He’s 9 months right now and during the day he naps all on his own when he’s bored. When he’s no longer tired, he plays with us a bit (we work from home) but he still sleep most of the work day since he knows we work and can’t always play with him

@3enben It's recommended for young puppies because they don't know how to self-regulate and become over-tired. Over-tired leads to behavioral issues such as playing too hard: biting more, explosive energy, not listening to commands, etc.

@josscarter Okay thank you that makes sense - I usually spot this kind of behaviour (like running into walls... sometimes repeatedly) and get him to sleep shortly after but never thought of it as a forced nap 😴

Thanks

@imagebeastmarkbeast Noo mine won’t sleep in his kennel at all anymore bc of this. He never had a problem settling in the living room kennel until we took a break from it after he was neutered. One night I was up later watching tv & when I went to put him in his kennel he would not settle. He’s been in the bed with us ever since, & our sex life hasn’t been the same :( he also used to settle when he realized it was my roomate coming in but now I have to open the door for him to check else he keeps barking at the “stranger”

@roboryan Yeah but I already wake up at 5 for work and give my cat insulin at 530 so it doesn’t bother me. Were at 10weeks though so i hope as he gets older he can just start sleeping for a little longer

@timghost Our was like that at 10 weeks but by the time she was somewhere between three and five months old she kept getting later and later and now (they’re about to be 11 months🥳) her and her sister wake us up anywhere between 8:30 and 12 😂

@roboryan My pup was like this at first. No matter what I did- he wanted to be up then and play. He’d wake me but I managed to show him that I don’t want to play at 5 am by not engaging. It took about a month of those 5 am wake ups for him to just sleep in with me. Now that he’s six months, he’s definitely more familiar with my schedule and knows I don’t get up then.

@roboryan Have you tried taking him out for a potty and then putting him right back in the crate? That seems to work for us. Our pup will generally (it’s not a perfect science haha) settle down again if she is put back in the crate right after a potty break, but won’t if we feed her or play because then she thinks it’s time to wake up. I keep sweats ready to go, put them on over my pjs and take her to pee, reward her for going right away, and then take her right back to bed. Otherwise we don’t engage with her.

@roboryan I would suggest working on training your pup to settle themselves by taking them out to play really hard and get excited and then place them in the crate and calmly get them to lay down and settle and feed them a treat repeat and repeat. I had the same problem but now I get up at 5 take her out to pee and then put her right back in and it takes her about 2 mins to settle. Hope that helps