Where can I get kidney dog food cheap or cheaper?

amartin123

Is there a way I can get kidney dog food cheap or cheaper?

Jack has been having issues with peeing indoors so he got a urinalysis and blood work done and it’s not good…

I was crying on the phone with the vet, so I’m not sure if she said stage 3 kidney disease or failure and I used the last of my money to get these tests done. I asked her what he needs NOW because I don’t get paid again for two weeks. She gave me an email with the food: Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care.

This food is $100 a bag or $50 for the sad small bag. I don’t have enough money for this. Where can I get it cheaper? Or smaller? Something.

My vet doesn’t carry this food and didn’t have samples.

I’m desperate. I’ll steal the food if I have to, but I’m trying to see if I have another option.

@amartin123 Unfortunately there's really not anywhere to get it cheaper than what you'll find from chewy and other online retailers. You could ask your vet whether there's an immediate alternative since you're in a bind - maybe cutting existing food with something to lower the protein, since processing protein is hard on the kidneys. Maybe you could ask in local groups whether anyone has any to spare? I would have considered sharing a bit with someone if they'd made that request. You may also be able to get away with finding a recipe for and putting together a homemade diet as a temporary fix, but keep in mind homemade diets are rarely nutritionally complete, so this should be just until you can afford the dry food.

@amartin123 Talk to the vet again and explain your financial situation and ask if there are any alternatives. I am sure there are many people who can’t afford prescription dog food, and maybe they have some ideas! They should be sympathetic to this, I am sure they hear it a lot.

I am sorry you are going through this.

@amartin123 Look on FB marketplace or ask rescue groups. A lot of times people have dogs with chronic illnesses that pass away and they have tons of food leftover. Many rescue groups can't use it before it goes bad unless they have a pet with that chronic condition..
Not a long term solution but definitely helpful for a little bit.

@amartin123 Hills vet is different from regular hills, same as royal Canin vet is different from store Royal canin
Some vets do have donations for their clients who have low income, you should ask.

@amartin123 I got multiple bags from local animal shelters in their donation pet pantry’s. Some bags were opened already or near expiration. Try and call local shelters or vet offices for donations or open bags. Good luck!

@amartin123 Azodyl for dogs. It’s over the counter but this is what my vet suggested for my dog who had kidney disease. It helped quite a bit. Good luck with your fur baby. I personally wouldn’t buy Hills Prescription diet, vets always recommend Hills. My vet told me to feed her a low protein diet so I searched the internet for low protein dry dog kibble. You can research kidney disease in dogs on the internet. I am in no way saying your vet doesn’t know what they’re talking about I am just giving you another opinion on what my vet told me to do when my boxer was sick with kidney disease. It’s been over 10 yrs since my boxer girl crossed the rainbow bridge so I’m trying to remember what advice the vet gave me.

@brennanskates I’m so sorry. My dog had so many things going on at the same time and I don’t want to give incorrect advice, I apologize. I do remember the Azodyl wax recommended by the vet for her kidney failure. They had to send it overnight in a chilled container.

Back