Where are we at with the debate of grain-free vs. grain?

yodeler

My wife and I are trying to find a new dog food for our 9 year old pug. He’s a big boy so we’re looking for something to help with weight control. He did well using WholeHearted Weight Control (lamb and peas) but I don’t think they make it anymore which led us to searching for alternative grain-free options. This is when I found all the articles and concern around grain-free linked to DCM, FDA investigating a few years ago… is anyone aware of any findings at this point? I know there’s a lot of things to consider depending on each dog, but generally curious if there’s a popular vote at this point?

@yodeler Pro Plan Weight Management has worked great for a friend's dog. It keeps the protein level high and lowers the fat. Her dog is looking great and loves the food.

@yodeler We just went to the vet and she said the thing about DCM and that there aren’t benefits to grain free unless your dog is allergic to grain but most dogs have allergies to protein and most of the time that protein is chicken. She said the though the occurrence of DCM is rare it’s just not worth the risk especially since grain free is just a marketing ploy like we are gluten free so our dog children must be too.