When to use combs vs. blades?

uroszun

Hello,

I purchased 5FC and 3 3/4 FC blades from Chewy to use when grooming my poodle. However, in most of the videos I'm watching, the groomers are using a 30 blade with clip on comb attachments.

When do you use one or the other?

I already opened the 3 3/4 blade though it is unused, so I don't think it can be returned. The 5FC is unopened so I could maybe send that one back if y'all don't think I need it.

Thank you!

Edited to say I am obviously not a professional groomer, just a noob trying to groom my pood at home.

@uroszun A 3 3/4 inch blade is great one to have actually! It’s really nice if you want a summer cut but still want a bit of fluff. I reach for blades all of the time and I have ones as long as 3/4”.

Since you gave a poodle, blades will leave a really nice finish. They’re also very handy if you’re dealing with mild matting. I’ve saved so many coats with really good bath/blow dry and my 5/8” blade.

Just play around and see what you prefer!

@uroszun Blades tend to give a better finish. They cut a little bit shorter than the clip comb equivalent. They can be a little more challenging to use/less forgiving. They can leave divots if you use too much pressure and dig in a little too much. #7 blade can be unsafe. The wide teeth can grab skin easier so don't use on sensitive areas(face, belly, sani, ears, tuckup, etc).

I use clip combs a lot. They're quicker and easier but sometimes I need a blade. Clip combs will get stuck in mats easily too.

@uroszun Well IF you brush! play around with the guard combs for longer lengths!!! The blades will be shorter lengths and good for times when brushing may run away from you!

Back