When did your pup stop eating everything?

When my other pup who is only 20% cattle dog was a puppy, he couldn’t be left alone and trusted not to chew on furniture, molding, books, etc until he was about 1.5- 2 years old. Now I have a pup who is 50/50 cattle dog and jagdterrier and she’s 8 months old and is similarly mouthy and loves to chew things she shouldn’t have. Just curious what other’s experiences are with this kind of behavior and when you started seeing it diminish… if at all 😂

@withwonderingawe Mine can be left home and not destroy stuff now at almost 3yrs–probably for the past year.

UNLESS there are paper towels, toilet paper rolls, specific children’s toys (loves plastic figurines) or anything that used to contain food available within her reach. Those will always be fair game lol

She used to go for shoes and socks a lot and that has totally stopped that, and no furniture anymore.

@mareag Same. Add wet wipes to the list though. And dental floss. Both of those items can be fun when they come out the other end.

@gmalbertson Exactly the same for me, she's just about 2 and hasn't been crated for about 6 weeks now. Only issues are when I leave stuff like that on the floor.

@withwonderingawe Puppies chew things they shouldn’t chew, it’s not a “cattle dog” thing. Older dogs, including “cattle dogs” will chew things they shouldn’t chew when they’re bored and unsupervised.

Are you buying mixed breed dogs from “breeders” or are you getting them from shelters?