Whelping area

principium

Long story short I found a stray who I am now keeping but was pregnant upon rescue….
I have no idea what I’m doing but sort of figuring it out… she’s due within the next week and I want the whelping area as practical as possible, but it will be a one time use so don’t want to put in a ton of time or money.
Can I use an XXL dog kennel (I have 2 saints and one doesn’t use his) or a large hard kennel?
She was ~35 pounds 2 weeks ago for size reference. I know they are supposed to have enough room to move away from puppies and not squish them and puppies shouldn’t be able to get out.
If these don’t work I have plenty of large cardboard boxes, just figured these would be most sanitary for longer term.

@oldwoodsman Yup kiddie pool and zip tie pool noodles around the inside for a “pig rail” =look it up keeps pups from getting squished…. You can remove it as the grow.

@principium Kiddie pools work great. Make ‘pig rails’ with pool noodles to prevent puppies from getting squished against the sides. Just Google ‘swimming pool whelping box’ and you will see what I mean.

The reason I wouldn’t use a dog kennel is because it would be difficult to install the pig rails and keep a close eye. If you took the top of the XXL it might work for when the pups are tiny but a kiddie pool will be better for longer term.

You could also use modular gardening boxes where you can change the configuration. The Costco sets are popular. But these are a much more expensive option.

@principium There are some pools that are not circles... look on Chewy if you're in the US. I would not recommend a crate only because accessing puppies is harder unless it's an airline kennel that you can take the top off.

Back