What tool to prevent mats for double-coated curly doodle?

Hello!

We have two full size doodles - a 70lb labradoodle and a 40lb border doodle (still a pup). My labradoodle is a 1st gen (50/50) low/no shed w/ soft hair that rarely mats. However, my border doodle (BD) is an F2B w/ curly hair and a sort of undercoat from the border collie side. She has the softest hair I’ve ever felt on any dog but she’s more prone to mats than my other doodle, or even than either of the two Bichons I had previously.

I have a couple of slicker brushes that we’ve had forever. One is too soft to do much of anything and the other is just OK but it doesn’t really seem to help much on our BD. I got the little Safari 4.5” ss comb and I love it for getting the mats out once they’ve developed. I also have a mat cutter but it doesn’t work as well on her because the ends are curled and you can’t get into the mat on her very well as they are generally close to her skin. There is a Safari mat cutter (no brand loyalty here, just saw this tool on Amazon) with much straighter fingers that I think would work better. However, I’m wondering what tool you would recommend to actually prevent the mats in the first place. I was thinking about a single or double long tooth undercoat or grooming rake. One of those where the pins actually swivel 360 degrees in order to move through the hair/fur better. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NGM3QRN/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 or perhaps this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083TSC64/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3RQXMQ86H0J6I&psc=1. If you know of anything else that will work better, I’m completely open to ideas. I know it’s probably not quite as simple of an answer as if she had standard border collie or standard poodle hair but since she has a combo of both, I could really use some suggestions. My local pet store is normally great on these types of things but were totally at a loss to give me any guidance on what tool(s) would be best for this. It seems to me I need something that will get all the way down to her skin (comfortably, obviously) or else the mats will continue to form. They seem to most form in the hair closest to her skin. Any help, advice, or guidance would be really appreciated and extremely useful. Thanks so much in advance!

@s3mp3rr3formanda Yeah you probably need to learn to line brush. Essentially you part the hair at intervals and brush from the skin to the end. Doodles with multiple coat types need daily brushing or they'll mat up instantly, but especially after any kind of exposure to moisture, even just dew from the grass

@s3mp3rr3formanda Bring her in to a groomer and ask them to show you how to brush and what tools to use. Starting from a mat-free coat (the groomer may need to shave your dog, depending on its condition - but don't worry, it's only hair and will grow back ... faster than you'd imagine) will give you a good baseline to start with and you can work at maintaining that coat vs. trying to solve existing problems. Set up a regular appointment while you're there.

@jedi4christ I second finding a groomer and getting them to show you! Our Poodle is our first, and it was a learning curve! Our groomer has been GREAT and has happily showed us where he tends to mat, how to brush the areas more effectively, and what tools work best for him!

@jedi4christ Oh, no. It’s nothing like that bad! She definitely doesn’t need to be shaved. She’s pretty much mat free. I just find them periodically (one every few days) and have been working them out with the comb when I do find them. I was just wondering if the long tooth undercoat rake would help with preventing them in the first place. :) Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely look into your suggestions. Thanks!

@s3mp3rr3formanda I actually have the Safari mat cutter that you mentioned and I really like it. Just be super careful with it because it’s very sharp. I’ve cut my thumb on it twice. This had become my favorite slicker brush for brushing out knots/thick coats. The bristles are stiff and the balls on the end cause less skin irritation (although you’ll obviously still have to be careful, especially when combing out knots).

A larger comb like this will probably make your life a lot easier. This is the best tool for preventing knots.

@chaz1268 @chaz1268, I wanted to take the time to do a shoutout with a massive THANK YOU for sharing about that new design slicker brush from Petco. I had already ordered another well rated traditional slicker from Chewy but I found myself near Petco and decided to take a look. They said if I don’t like it or it doesn’t work for our pup, no problem to return. But I definitely WON’T be doing that! It just works brilliantly. I was afraid the “balls” on the ends of the pins would affect its ability to get down into the hair or into mats but they are so small that it doesn’t impeded that at all. In addition, it’s so much more comfortable for both our pup and for me. The night before I got this new brush that you recommended, I was using our old stiff bristle slicker brush when my pup turned suddenly while I was brushing her and the slicker also turned and the pins opened up two, 2” long cuts on my arm that started bleeding. It freaking hurt. I’ve not had any trouble like that with the new brush and both our dogs like it SO much better than a traditional slicker. We all LOVE it. Such a great investment. I was a little skeptical to try it - only because a few people in these forums were not loving any slicker with protected pins. But you recommendation and the fact that everyone one of your groomer friends who tried it went out and bought one for themselves definitely pushed me over the edge to give it a try. I am SO happy that I did because it’s fantastic. So, once again, a huge thank you to you, @chaz1268, for sharing your knowledge and experience and encouraging me to try that brush. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to brush a dog. The nice thing is that the design is so versatile. It works great on our 1st gen labradoodle with low shed, fine and less dense hair (and it beautifully and gently grabs the loose hair that she has), plus, she adores it like a massage. And, it works fantastic on our non-shedding uber fine curly hair f2b border doodle with an ultra soft undercoat. She’s the tough one because her hair is so fine and there’s so much of it w/ that undercoat, too. And, while she doesn’t love it like my other dog yet (since she’s only 8 months), she fights me 90% less than she does with a reg slicker. Great stuff. We’ll definitely be brushing both of them more often. Thanks again!

Back