What to put in my puppies food to get her to eat it

jakob92

My puppy Luna is 4 months old and is a chihuahua mix of some kind. She eats 3x/day as recommended by my vet. However, she’s starting to get sick of her dry/wet food and I’ve started to spoil her by putting a little shredded rotisserie chicken in it so she eats what is supposed to be the necessary dosage of food for her size and weight. But I know this isn’t good for her, yet she won’t eat her food if there isn’t anything humanly appetizing about it. Any suggestions for something quick and healthy I can add to her food?

@jakob92 Having worked at a kennel I always started with a little hot water. Just enough to dampen some of the food, not enough to leave water in the bowl or float the kibble. Or broth if that doesn't help. Same way. A little coconut oil may also do the trick, and help keep her skin from drying out. Always use as little as possible so you don't get into a food war with her. And she will eat when she gets hungry. If she misses a day of meals because the "extra" isn't there it won't hurt her. She is a puppy, they don't miss many meals if they are healthy.

@alvaroc Yes! This seems to work really well now. I haven’t tried the coconut oil as I’m not sure how much of it I should use or really don’t know too much about it for dogs. Thank you for the suggestion.

@jakob92 You can try switching her foods(do a quick Google search for how to switch foods), they make all kinds of toppers and wet foods for dogs, you can try adding water or a little bit of low sodium chicken broth.