What size clothes is my dog??

lelalodavis

I’m online shopping for my lab, he’s a year old, 75 pounds and fairly thin, just tall with a big head 😭 I’m wondering what size clothes you all get for your labs? Is L long enough? I’m worried XL will be too baggy. His harness from Target is XL, but we did have to tighten it a good bit. TIA!

@lelalodavis It’s best to measure her girth and go with the measurements on whatever you are buying. Weight is not a good measure since fit depends on body shape and especially girth.

Sizes differ based on brand. E.g. a coat made for small dogs may have xxl fit your dog but in a regular coat your dog may be a large. One of mine is 72pounds short hair , i bought her both medium and large (different brands). She is more consistently large but it really depends in what I’m buying. If i got her kurgo sweater (i was looking at one recently), she would be a medium. On some amazon brands, she is an xxl based on girth.

@lelalodavis You can use anything to measure. I like to grab a length of yarn cause it’s usually handy for me, but even the edge of a blanket would work. Wrap it around quick and figure out where the end meets, then hold that yarn or whatever up to a measuring tape. Much easier than trying to wrap a measuring tape around a wiggly pup

@lelalodavis You need to keep in mind that at 1 year old, your dog is not done growing yet. So, give the dog some room with the clothing. And what type of clothing do you mean? Sweaters for cold weather and rain, or just everyday clothes?

I hesitate to ask anything further because I have my opinions about putting clothing on dogs everyday (to make them look like humans) so I'll just leave it at my above questions.

@fatalfantasy Just a sweater for family Christmas pictures! I also like to have jackets for the cold since my dogs are not fans of cold weather (we’re in Texas) other than that, no every day clothes!