What is the safest way to single handedly stop a dog fight if/when it happens?

mamastitch

Had an experience earlier today where my two dogs growled at one another for a second before a fight broke loose. I'm guessing the instigator was the elder of the two who is 6 y/o and the other culprit is 3 y/o.

This sort of behaviour is extremely rare but would like to know what to do the next time it happens.

@mamastitch I work at a training school and fights break out occasionally in our play groups. We use a walker and wheelchair for socialization purposes, but they're useful to get between fighting dogs, so grab a chair and push it between them. We also have a deterrent spray and a whistle, but I normally grab the back legs and wheelbarrow them backwards. There are times I've blown the whistle though and yelled "Foul! Inappropriate play! 5 minutes in the penalty box!" The sound is surprisingly efficient.

@tenantfile
"Foul! Inappropriate play! 5 minutes in the penalty box!"

That's brilliant! I never taught them the 'naughty corner' or 'penalty box'. Could you explain how this could be taught and how long should they stay there?

Loud noises and the wheelbarrow seems to be the main course of action but my concern with the wheelbarrow action is precisely what /@kaycee368 mentioned where the other dog could keep attacking.

@mamastitch The dog trainers I go to say throwing a handful of treats at the fighters might stop. Their next step involved a large board that they stick between the dogs, since you're NEVER supposed to put your hands in there.

Other than that, loud noises? Like an air Horn?

Back