What do you say to owners of off-lead dogs?

jaxosk26

We’re on our second week of reconcile 64mg (he’s a big boy). It was sort of a last ditch effort, being that the other dog owners in my area believe that leash laws don’t apply to them. I have sought out professional training: first basic/intermediate obedience, then was taken for almost $2K by a trainer who “specialized” in reactivity, only to walk away with my dog learning the “place” command.

He’s starting a new Reactive Dog training program (this time at an actual facility, instead of private lessons at home) and we’ve begun muzzle training (it’s slow going). The medication, I’m hoping, will reduce his anxiety enough for me to get him out of triggering situations in a quicker and safer way. I take him for walks/hikes during low traffic times, change direction when I see other dogs, work on counter-conditioning when we’re at a safe enough distance. I feel like I’m doing all I can.

Off-lead dogs make this SO MUCH HARDER. And 9 times out of 10, the owners are yards back, the dogs have no recall, or the owner perhaps doesn’t know the definition of the word.

He attacked a cattle dog in the woods after I called out to the owner to recall her dog (NOT FRIENDLY. RECALL YOUR DOG) no less than 5 times. She did not recall. She rather told her dog to “stop” not 3 feet from my dog, who was on a 6-ft lead, and had slack enough to lunge.

Of course, once I’d gotten the situation under control (she just stood there screaming) I was berated about how I shouldn’t have my dog out at all. I let my frustration get the best of me and told her maybe she should follow the fucking leash laws. Seriously, is space so much to ask?

I now carry a can of compressed air (surprisingly effective) with me. I’ve purchased a hi-vis vest that says “REACTIVE DOG - GIVE US SPACE”, and a hoodie that says the same in big, bold letters. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve even spoken to the city about adding some signage on those public foot trails about keeping dogs leashed. I’m exhausted and frustrated, and I don’t think I have the capacity to be the kind and courteous neighbor anymore.

@jaxosk26 I have a forest trail behind my house. Almost everyone back there goes off leash. Whenever I see a dog in the distance i just yell “please get your dog!” Usually no problem.

One woman though… her dog is rushing at us (friendly manner but rude!). My dog is lying down on the ground. I tell her twice to get her dog. She holds his collar and moves out of the way. As we are walking she has the NERVE to say “is your dog aggressive?” I told her no but I will be if something happens to my dog.

You did everything right. Screw her. Just tell her “lets call the police and clarify whether off leash dogs are permitted here and who is at fault.”

@janetq
“lets call the police and clarify whether off leash dogs are permitted here and who is at fault.”

Just start calling police/bylaw and force the issue on the other owner. There's several owners in my area who let their dogs roam free. I'm at the point where I file a bylaw complaint with description, photos and video for every off leash dog i see in my area multiple times (even if they don't come anyway near me). I also have a document where i put the report numbers sorted by each dog/owner so that if anything happens with one specific owner (for example, I spray their dog with dog spray and they call the cops or attack me), I can reference all of the report numbers if they decide to escalate.

@jaxosk26 I avoid at all costs and have the couple of times I was unable to, I got my hand out in a stop signaling and started yelling “no” at the dogs. Most gave up on trying to reach my dog (but they were small). Be loud and forceful to the dogs so the owners know you mean business, I wouldn’t even address the owners. Use that compressed air, citronella spray, pepper spray as last resort. If their dog gets injured or scared, so be it.

The only other thing is to really prioritize that muzzle training. Muzzles freak people out and generally make owners take you more seriously in the first place.

@jaxosk26 I took a grumpy growler class at my local humane society and they taught us a couple of things that have worked for me.

1) shout to leash their dog bc your dog has kennel cough. White lie but takes ego/judgement out of it.

2) carry a water bottle that you can spray at the other dog. It’s just water - but the off leash dog won’t like it.

3) buy citronella spray - again won’t hurt the dog, but gets them to back off.

4) if there is a conflict, be the first to call animal control. Animal control tends to help/believe whomever they hear from first.

@carrollpiruith Second calling Animal Control. I live in the Phoenix AZ area, so I didn't have a lot of confidence in getting help when some dumb broad thought letting her GSD out loose in the front one morning. Dog started across the street towards me and my reactive dog. No way to turn around, no pepper spray (I carry it now), and the dumb woman wouldn't come get him. Finally, she waddled across the street to corral him. I called ACC and they came out that day.

@jaxosk26 The most important thing you can do is advocate for your dog and it's safety. I've gotten into face to face screaming matches with people on our local trails over off leash dogs approaching mine. Just because my dog is reactive doesn't mean he can't walk the same trails as non-reactive dogs. I do everything in my power to not set my dog up for failure and you're doing exactly what a good owner should do. If at any point you feel your safety and/or the safety of your dog is in jeopardy, all common courtesy and manners are off the table. You and your dog are the priority; not the approaching off leash dog. Just know that I commend you for all your efforts and never ever stop advocating for your dog!

@jaxosk26 Let me preface this by saying there are a lot of good dog owners who, when they see me (anyone?) in the distance they immediately leash their dog. I really, really appreciate these people!

The others, who can't seem to leash or control their dog in any manner at all, I have zero patience with and I don't try to hide it and I don't veil it in niceties. I have a reactive dog and I have my hands full with him, working on control, keeping him away from their dog (even if that means WOOHOO let's run over here!), leashed, muzzled (well not quite yet but we're getting there) and every other manner to ensure MY dog is safe and so is theirs. If they can't do the bare minimum, eff them, they're getting all the dirty looks and if they dare say anything at all to me that is confrontational, they get an earful as well. I'm just so done with people who have zero control over their dog, who think the laws don't apply to them and zero respect for those of us who have leashed dogs, regardless of WHY ours are leashed. That conversation really shouldn't even have to happen to justify our dogs existence

@mititelumarcel Thank you for pointing out 😍

I've a reactive dog, and I've noticed in my neighborhood a few who've realized. They leash as soon as we spot each other, or there's that weird pause where we gesticulate to agree who goes where. It makes life so so much easier!
So much easier that I can let my dog have off lead time (in specific areas where I can get him clipped back in or in my arms with ease) and oh my does he have a whale of a time running up and down "hills" (never further than 10meters from me max, always in view, and I have sight of further afield); gorgeous to see him get zoomies. It's happened three times only in the seven months we've had him.

I'm grateful to the dog owners around my area. Even if it took a few weird "oh no they're friendly!" About their big dogs... And me to explain the problem wasn't their playful big dog but my small one who cannot play, doesn't understand play and freaks out.

But it's made life so much better to clip, unclip, reclip etc. with that tiny bit more confidence.

@jaxosk26 I'm really careful where we go anymore, so thankfully it doesn't happen often.

My dog is 30 lbs, so if we see an off leash dog headed our way, I pick him up. That way I can prevent him from lashing out, and I can use my body to block the other dog if the other dog isn't friendly.

Of course, people love to make comments. I think my favorite response to someone saying that my dog was "mean" was "if your dog comes over here one more time, it's not my dog he will have to worry about." Yeah, that made them mad but they did scramble to get their dog, so it worked.

It is exhausting. Yes, my dog is reactive and not friendly, but in public spaces he is always leashed and we can do all kinds of management strategies as long as people can keep themselves and their dogs away. I don't mind crossing streets or going off the road, but if I'm trying to make space I need for others to not constantly be closing that space. Not everyone wants to be around other dogs, it's just common courtesy.

@childman My boy is 110 lbs. lol. I wish I could pick him up and get him out of the way, but not with all the protein powder and creatine in the world could I manage that.

@childman My little 12 lb dog was attacked by a large off leash dog at our apartment building. He was totally fine but obviously it made me more anxious around off leash big dogs. My dog is also leash reactive but not aggressive, he actually loves dogs. Anyways, maybe a week or two after his attack we were at the park in an on leash area. There is a huge off leash area at this park mind you, but people do let their dogs off leash in this one particular area. My dog likes to sniff that area. We were walking around and a guy and his huge off leash dog were nearby. His dog approached my guy and he actually did really good (when we go to the park and he gets used to there being so many dogs, he stops his reactive barking). He was wagging his tail and happy. The other dog started growling and I got nervous so I just picked my boy up. The owner started yelling at me about how I shouldn't pick him up and just because I'm scared doesn't mean he has to be. We were chatting previously and he was friendly so this was a 180. I told him "I don't know your dog or his behaviour". He starts completely barating me and being a jerk and taunting me and I said look I just want to leave the park and was walking away with my dog. He kept saying things and I didn't respond (which is hard for me as a reactive human 😅). The only thing I said was "btw this is an off leash area. He laughed and mocked me and dared me to call bylaw. Like ok man, I am scared of random big dogs. My boy is my world and I'm just not risking it. Idk why people can't just mind their business.

@imrightyourleft You definitely did the right thing. People don’t seem to get how quickly things can go wrong for small dogs. At least if you’re holding him you can body block (and if their dog bites you, LE will care more than if they hurt your dog). On the ground it only takes one bite. Trust your gut, it’s not worth the risk. Sorry that guy was such a tool, but glad you were both okay.

@jaxosk26 I have a 90lbs Doberman. I yell at people to put their dog on a leash if I see them. Usually there’s no issues, what with the 90lbs Doberman staring their dog down. He is as friendly as could be, but my thought process has always been “would you really want my Doberman off leash running towards you? That’s why he is on leash, and yours should be too”

@akodua I wish! Mine is a pit/lab mix, and he’s giant at 110 lbs, so one would think that screaming “NOT FRIENDLY” would do something, but all too often it doesn’t.

@jaxosk26 Nothing anymore because usually they don’t or are unable to do anything and only I get angry.

But I am able to pick my dog up and leave.

Compressed air sounds great! I have considered it. How far from the dog do you use it?

@jaxosk26 I think you are doing absolutely everything you can to try to avoid a potentially dangerous situation. It sucks that you’re the one that has to accommodate inconsiderate dog owners, but at the end of the day you know you can still give your dog a fulfilling life by taking those extra steps.

I see a lot of off-leash dogs around my neighborhood and the area where we walk. Some owners are really good and will clip their dog’s leash on when they see others approaching. I’ve had one specific situation where the dog was several feet away from the owner, who was looking down at her phone, and we came around the corner. I had to yell out at her that she needed to pay attention. I had seen them several times before and knew the dog was generally well-behaved off-leash, but I can’t take the chance of the dog getting excited and thinking he can come up to us. She definitely got annoyed at me but eventually called her dog back to her until we passed.

Our neighbor across the street is another story though. He has a massive Cane Corso who he never leashes and insists our dogs would get along, despite my dog’s reactivity and his dog never being socialized. I’m afraid to leave the house when he’s home. He actually brought his dog over one time when he had seen us outside, despite me telling him not to. Thankfully I anticipated that he was going to do that and had already brought my dog inside. He then proceeded to lecture me and tell me I was a bad trainer for not letting them meet 😂

Anyway, you are definitely doing everything you can to advocate for your dog, and protect all of you - including the irresponsible owners and their dogs.

@joylakala I’m sorry, WHAT?!? He brought his dog over uninvited knowing your dog is reactive?? That is so bold and entitled and stupid. I would have absolutely lost it.