Wet vs Dry Food and Healthiest Brand Between Purina ONE vs Pure Balance

junipham

(crosspost from r/dogs) I'm getting a dog in the middle of this month as my potential Service Dog in Training. She's gonna be very active between training and playing/exercising/socializing in general. She's gonna be either a puppy (4 months) unknown mixed breed or a 1 year old lab.

My S.O. and I wanna make sure we get the best dog food for her within our budget at the moment, especially since she'll be so young and active.

We've narrowed it down to these 2 brands due to local availability, budget (max $25 for 25lb or more), and they seem like the healthiest choices available.

While I appreciate all suggestions; in regards to going raw, I've done some research (definitely not as throughly as I'd like yet, but a good bit), and though I can appreciate the motivation behind it, and would feel better about knowing exactly what my dog is eating.

I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my dog on a diet that is in no way regulated, other than by me, and therefore could possibly not meet the nutritional guidelines my dog needs.

Maybe after I research the topic further and speak to our future vet, I could possibly feel more comfortable with pursuing going raw but, for now, I'd prefer something I know is going to meet WSAVA recommendations. Which, as one user pointed out on my post in r/dogs, are the best guidelines we have for safe, grain-inclusive formulas at this time.

@reformedgirl Speaking of feeding ourselves nutritious food, I wish there was a "dog food" for humans. Something highly tested and convenient that would have everything you need. I know there is soylent and ensure and others like that, but I'm not aware of any actual studies on the health of them.

@heptatron Try it yourself. Many people have used Soylent and enjoy it as a dog food meal. I used to consume the powder and not make it into a shake. I will say it's not very filling in its own. But I'm like 6'3 so it's hard to fill me.

@heptatron Try it yourself. Many people have used Soylent and enjoy it as a dog food meal. I used to consume the powder and not make it into a shake. I will say it's not very filling in its own. But I'm like 6'3 so it's hard to fill me.

@junipham Raw food is absolutely going to be the best. However, I understand that you're on a budget. Don't feed your dog Purina. There are better foods available within in your means. If you have a Tractor Supply near you, check out Diamond brand. There's maintenance and hi-energy formula. Both are 50 lbs bags and cost around $30. Mix this with TS's 4 Health brand of canned food. 4 Health and Taste of the Wild are both made by Diamond. Consider TotW, although it's more expensive and may be out of your budget.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/4health-dog-food-canned/

@ebust84 Please stop spreading false information based on no factual evidence. Saying "raw food is absolutely going to be the best" is not only factually wrong but you have no way to know that because you know nothing about the dog in question.

@soccerbraintrust 10-4 dinosaur

Look you're right in that I don't know anything about her dog. However feeding a dog it's most biologically appropriate meal is absolutely going to be best for a dog. What did dogs eat before commercial available dog food was on the shelves? Probably meat and table scraps and what they found in the wild. The only reason you won't find raw food studies is because the multimillion dollar dog food companies stop them or pay researchers to sway their opinion. Most of the dog food studies are sponsored by the name brand companies. Of course the studies will say this kibble is best, they sponsored the study. As for for mine, I will feed my dog what's best for them, prepared as if I would eat it myself. Fresh that day, not from a bag that can be on the shelf longer than my dogs lifespan.

@junipham I was a "don't feed Purina" person for a very long time. I've been a dog walker for 15 years. I now feed Purina as a dog collapsed on me from a heart condition the emergency vet said is being seen only with dogs who eat grain free boutique brand foods. They recommended using a food that has been through years of feeding trials and have not shown dogs to have any complications from the food. Vet suggested Purina iams hills royal canin.
/r/askvets would be a better place to ask this question

@junipham Personally I get wet food. My dog likes it better, plus it helps her stay hydrated. Though if you're getting a service dog you can just ask them what they're already feeding her.

@ebust84 American Animal Hospital Association, officially recommend against feeding raw meat-based diets to dogs, as does the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).

Red meats have been declared carcinogenic by the World Health Organization, and carcinogens are found in other meats like chicken. Aside from increased risk of cancer, dogs can have trouble processing diets that are very high in animal protein, and may develop sensitivities to these ingredients.

Also if you like having salmonella and intestinal worms your self then by all means feed your dog raw. Then when your dog proceeds to lick you, you can share the same ailments.

Source, a reputable vet.

Back