Want to get a smaller (<30 lbs) dog. How to I protect them from bigger/aggressive dogs?

bubbles0023

Hi there, just the question above. I certainly want to be prepared, because if something were to happen where a dog was attacking mine without a proper plan, I might resort to any measures to save my dog, including killing its attacker (r/iamverybadass before anyone else gets it in)

Seriously though, how do I protect my dog without putting myself in a position to do something productive, yet probably opening me up to legal action, or even worse, get myself or my dog hurt even worse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

@bubbles0023 Your dog should never been in a situation where it can be attacked. Keep it leashed when out and about, avoid other dogs if the owner warns you they’re not friendly. When you go to the dog park, there probably won’t be an issue. If there is, keep your voice perky and excited, clap to get their attention, then pull your dog away. Being angry or violent will only escalate the situation.

@angeleone Cool, thanks for your insight!

I completely agree that violence will only make the situation worse, that’s why I’m here asking about it, so I can have a plan in place and not rely on my instincts to protect my dog. I certainly don’t want anyone else’s dog to get hurt, but if it’s them or my dog, sorry... should have kept better care of an aggressive animal. I don’t think I should let the concern keep me from living my life, or my dog living theirs, either. Again, that’s why I’m here, asking questions about it.

Thanks!

@bubbles0023
Your dog should never been in a situation where it can be attacked. Keep it leashed when out and about,

ok, well your dog shouldn't be able to attack another dog while it is leashed, but what about another dog?

and he states, "your dog should never be in a situation where it can be attacked" if you take your dog outside, without a fence, it can be attacked. period. I live in a small town, it happened to us last year. someone was visiting the people across the street from us from out of town and their pit bull escaped from their truck, ran over 100' to our back yard, and attacked our golden while we were playing fetch. no our dog didn't make it. yes, this was 10' in front of our 1 y/o.

we have dogs running around town all the time, many times I know the dog and most of the time you can wave them away without incident. but as I found out that day, if a dog wants to be aggressive...

my best advice, a fenced in yard can do wonder's, keeping your dog contained will help keep them from the being the bad dog, but buried and wireless containment options only "contain" they don't keep other dogs out. a physical fence is best.

carry pepper spray, all the time, if you are like me and have a kid with you most of the time ,carry the "gel" it doesn't drift like the spray, you have to be a little more accurate, but it should get them to turn and run. don't be afraid to use it, it shouldn't cause lasting issue with the other dog and it is better than finding out the hard way as to how friendly that dog is.

I also legally carry a handgun as a last resort, I didn't have it on me that fateful day and in the rush of the moment I didn't think about going inside and getting one. it would have seriously exacerbated the issue had I retrieved one.

quite obviously, if you are at a dog park, its not advised to spray every dog that comes up to you. but hopefully people aren't taking aggressive animals to the local dog park.

@anthonyinalabama Thank you for the detailed and personal experience, I’m so sorry you had to experience this first hand...

What you brought up is exactly my point, though... the other commenter wasn’t nearly as helpful... thanks for counterbalancing that. My thought was a handgun as well, but I definitely agree that it could make the situation a lot worse.

Pepper spray sounds like a great idea, definitely will look into the gel. We have a spot open in our yard we’re planning to fence up before getting a dog, so I think that’s a great plan as well.

I definitely don’t want to be a worry wort and think every dog is out to attack, I just want to be prepared in case my wife or I do run into one. I certainly don’t want to hurt any living animals, but I’m certainly not going to just watch while mine gets attacked, and I don’t want my wife to be put in a spot to have to physically defend our animal, either (and of course, she feels the same about me). Though, put in that spot, I’m going to react, so I just want a plan in place so I have another option than “kill the fucker hurting my dog”.

Thank you again, and I sincerely hope you never have to experience something like that ever again.

@bubbles0023 after this happened I didn't have any pepper spray around, so the handgun it was for a while.

but it is only for the most dire of situations, and at that point things have already gone terribly wrong. a little bit of pepper spray can help stop it before it goes terribly wrong.

something I think my neighbors and local officer would both appreciate.

a person doesn't want to go needlessly spraying unknown dogs, obviously the situation should dictate the response.

we had a golden/lab mix growing up that was a gentle watchdog, but he would put his hackles and give a stranger a show. the mailman maced him I know three times, and Sandy lived a long happy life to the age of 17.

so a little spray beats having to go to court and the dog facing potentially much worse consequences.

@bubbles0023 Contact your local Animal Control officers to determine laws/ regulations in your area re: when and how animals can be confined and/ or tethered or leashed outside!

Back