Walking a reactive dog

misskasey628

Hi there OP here,
I have two dogs one of which is a young 1 year old Shepard, Labrador retriever, and Golden mix.
The other is a confusing mix we don’t know much of she is 4.

So my 4 year old when she was younger would bark/growl/show her hackles at kids never really adults or other dogs and it was a bit of a pain to walk her but it was never as intense as it has been with my 1 year old.

As time passed my 4 year old stopped really showing any excitement/aggression to kids and moved onto barking at people who were too close to my space and hers. (While getting the occasional annoyed bark to neighbours male dog and crying after other neighbours female dog which is new to me and her).

Overall my 4 year old has grown out of reacting to things that used to bother her a lot when she was young.

Moving onto my 1 year old she has been one of the most challenging dogs I’ve ever had in my life, I love her so much and it was love at first sight when I got her as a puppy.

I did what I could to socialize her as she grew up and got vaccinated from introducing her to family, friends, co workers, and even socialized her at a distance from people and other dogs.

As she turned I’d say 7/8 months I began to notice she started to show aggression to other people coming around the house and when I brought her out for her walk she had pulled so hard I fell on my ass and was just shocked at her reaction.

As time went on she started to bark louder, growl, hackles raised, and tug hard enough to the point where it would hurt to hold her lead and I’ve had a few surprise yanks with a few other nearly falling instances.

She got bigger, heavier, and more intimidating to walk. I’ve noticed people giving looks and staring at us which makes me incredibly embarrassed and ashamed. I’ve tried treats, toys, and walking the other way from her triggers but nothing works with her and I’m so frustrated to point I cry and just turn back to walk home with her.

I feel like an absolute failure to my dog and I want to do better for her and get to the point where she can comfortably walk without reacting so heavily to her triggers. I’m not sure if it’s due to her being on a lead or not cause she loves the vets, and she loves the people I trust most to dog sit her.
She’s barked at the two people who have dog sat her before but as soon as I hand them the lead she’s a happy girl and calm. I thought she’d grow out of this like my 4 year old but I notice it probably won’t be something that will happen or won’t happen for a while.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice to give so I can get her to the point of calmness where we can both walk without me ending in tears and have to cut our walks short?

Back