Vet Opinion Need - Blood Results

spencer_3433

So for the past three days or so now, my beagle (Henry) has been not feeling well. His energy levels were in the dumps, he was peeing inside the house on accident, and was hiding from me because he peed (I was not upset at him, he's my boy). He is also 11 or 12 years old. He is generally quite active in the backyard and chasing after squirrels. So his behavior the past two or three days really took me back.

I got his bloods done and just from seeing this, his results, especially liver values):

ALT/SGPT (ALT) Above Normal
  • Lab results 2997.000 U/L
  • Lab range 10.000 - 125.000 U/L
Alkaline Phosphatase (ALKP) Above Normal
  • Lab results 3981.000 U/L
  • Lab range 23.000 - 212.000 U/L
ALB/Glob Unknown
  • Lab results 0.800
  • Lab range 0 - 0
Bilirubin, Total (TBIL) Above Normal
  • Lab results 7.600 mg/dL
  • Lab range 0.000 - 0.900 mg/dL
BUN/Crea Unknown
  • Lab results 18.000
  • Lab range 0 - 0
Chloride (CL-) Below Normal
  • Lab results 107.000 mmol/L
  • Lab range 109.000 - 122.000 mmol/L
Gamma Glutamyl Transferase (GGT) Above Normal
  • Lab results 39.000 U/L
  • Lab range 0.000 - 11.000 U/L
Globulin (GLOB) Normal
  • Lab results 4.100 g/dL
  • Lab range 2.500 - 4.500 g/dL
Glucose (GLU) Normal
  • Lab results 102.000 mg/dL
  • Lab range 70.000 - 143.000 mg/dL
Na+/K+ Unknown
  • Lab results 41.000
  • Lab range 0 - 0
Osmolality Unknown
  • Lab results 287.000 mmol/kg
  • Lab range 0 - 0 mmol/kg
Phosphorus (PHOS) Normal
  • Lab results 4.000 mg/dL
  • Lab range 2.500 - 6.800 mg/dL
Potassium (K+) Normal
  • Lab results 3.600 mmol/L
  • Lab range 3.500 - 5.800 mmol/L
Protein, Total (TP) Normal
  • Lab results 7.200 g/dL
  • Lab range 5.200 - 8.200 g/dL
The doctor prescribed Henry three things:
  • Denamarin
  • Metronidazole
  • Entyce
I'm going to call tomorrow to get an ultrasound done. I thought it might have been a UTI but his liver values are extremely high. From my research it says it could be the following:
  • Pancreatitis
  • gall bladder disease
  • intestinal inflammation
  • endocrine diseases
Any help or word of advice would be appreciated. I'm scared of my dog and am trying to comfort him.

@spencer_3433 Those liver values are very high, but your vet is on a good path for starting diagnostics. Does your pup already have a follow-up appointment scheduled for 7-14 days from this last visit for repeat blood work?

@huskcrow Nope, doctor didn't mention anything and was literally with me for less than a minute before going back to hide in the Banfield back room with the other dogs he had to work with. He did mention high liver values and I asked possible causes, he responded. No mention of cancer though.

Started on the medicine as soon as we got home. He did say to go get an ultrasound and I will do that tomorrow. I would go now if it was that urgent of a situation. I wear hearing aids and honestly had a hard time hearing what he said with his accent. All I received for the report was just the blood work, no note taking on condition, etc.

@spencer_3433 You'll probably have a much better experience with the vet who does the ultrasound (even if they're a large scale hospital like VCA or Blue Pearl). Most liver issues are chronic in nature, as opposed to acute trauma that needs immediate tending, so the vets that do the ultrasounds like to get to know their patients.

It's possible your vet is waiting on the ultrasound results to be shared before making future appointments. It's not my favorite way for a vet to handle this, but it isn't uncommon either I'm afraid. However, if your vet is booking a ways out, it may be beneficial to book an appointment for 7 days from today, as well as 14 days from today so you make it in the schedule. They may have you cancel the 7 day out appointment if your pup is doing well and the ultrasound is clean.

@huskcrow I'll go to Blue Pearl tomorrow and hopefully get an ultrasound scheduled. My vet was booked in within a day so I'm not worried about booking him. I'm not sure if going to Banfield is for the best but that is where I take my dogs for routine check ups and care.

Should I go ahead and book my vet for the soonest appointment after the ultrasound?

@spencer_3433 Your differentials should probably be leading with liver disease, then gallbladder. Doubtful the other options you listed. Abdominal ultrasound is definitely the right next step.

@litalee So you don’t think it’s liver cancer? Do the first two you name have a solution that leads to the road on recovery?

I’m at the emergency room right now and may not get an ultrasound until Monday. Would it be best to keep him overnight at the hospital for a few days or can I treat him at home with what I was given for my dog?

@spencer_3433 Well, I would classify liver disease as anything that could cause disease to the liver, which would include cancer. All comes down to how bad he is feeling and how aggressive you want to be, I can't give you medical guidance, so it would come down to what the Vet you are seeing suggests, and what you are able to do.

@litalee Understood.

I just got home from the emergency room with the dog. They itemized the bill and the costs came to about $3k.

At this point, we will see and I hope he gets better. If its cancer, I may need to send him to dog heaven. I'm not sure if the cancer could be treatable.