Urgent advice please! Staying with family and my dog gets triggered by hyper child

nafis4268

Hello! We’re on a trip atm (See last post for context) and my dog (1.5 year old Dachshund rescue) has been doing spectacularly so far! We stayed at the first house with the other dog and he was so well-behaved - around both the other dog and the child living there. Now, we’re staying at the second house and the hyper child has been triggering him.

At the first house, the introduction with the family and the other dog (cavoodle) went well. The two dogs played together a lot, however, I noticed that sometimes the cavoodle would invade his space so I would separate them and give my dog some alone time in another room. He would whine a bit but would eventually settle down and rest. He was also really well-behaved around the child in the house, however this child is rather quiet and shy.

Yesterday, we arrived at the second house and I thought it would be good that he would finally get his space from the other dog. However, the child (C) at this house is a huuuge issue. C is suuuuper hyperactive - I’m talking running, screaming, and jumping. I don’t trust my dog around C so he’s constantly leashed up next to me (he is leash-reactive but I believe this is safer). Once we arrived last night, I let him rest in his crate and he slept peacefully the whole night.

This morning, C went to school so he was fine and relaxed around everyone. However, once C came back home I could tell C was extremely hyper as they were running around and screaming a lot. My dog usually barks when someone arrives at the house so I let him rest in a room with my sister for 2-3 hours to calm down. I only let him out once C was chilling in front of the TV. While this was happening, I helped with dinner so my dog was on a leash and following me around but later on C started to bother him. Some examples are:
- C would get toys and try to balance them on my dog’s back
- C would try to walk over the dog (like make the dog go between their legs) and cause my dog to freak out
- C would touch my dog’s back and run away to provoke the dog to follow them. Then C will scream in delight when the leash keeps my dog from running after them and laugh as the dog barks in frustration.

As you can imagine, this made me very uncomfortable knowing how reactive my dog is. I tried to explain to C that they have to be relaxed around the dog, not to run around him, not to do the things he’s doing, to leave him alone etc. C’s parents would also tell them to just be calm but C doesn’t really understand and is having too much fun.

Tonight, the dog kept lunging at him so I would give the dog space and timeouts in a separate room. Eventually, things had calmed down so I leashed the dog to a chair in the dining area so that at least he can see me (he feels more calm in my presence). However, C happened to run past him and the dog bit his thigh (no wound but there was bruising). I let the dog calm down in another room then let him out 30 minutes later but held him on a short leash. However, C came close and he bit C on the foot (no visible marks) and lunged at C’s face.

Now, even just the sight of C triggers him. Please help!!!!! We’re here for a few more days. Should I just keep him in a room alone while C is around? What can I do? I’m at a loss…

UPDATE: Hey all!!! Thank you for all your thoughts, feedback, and advice 😊 I appreciate the time taken to read and comment! A few things:
- We’ll only be staying for 1.5 more days so I wont be buying a gate BUT I will be keeping my dog separate from the children for the rest of the trip (as best as I can anyway). I believe I did become complacent seeing as my dog was fine with C when they visited our house last year, but all the new and unfamiliar experiences are most likely driving up his stress levels.
- C is starting to understand that they won’t be allowed to interact with the dog at all and C’s parents are on board with explaining this also. A bit of context about why C acts this way is because their family dog recently passed away and C misses it (hence the obsession with my dog). C grew up around this dog and loved its gentle and tolerant nature. C is now learning all dogs aren’t like this.
- I’ll be driving my dog up to a nearby park to make sure he gets some exercise and will be buying him new toys for mental stimulation as he stays in the room. I know he’s comfortable in there as I’ve seen him retreat to it to sleep so I know he’ll be ok. Ill be sure to check on him too and let him out (on leash) for toilet breaks.
- We will be going out tomorrow so my dog will have some peace and quiet. I know he’s a little frustrated that he can’t play with all of us and be in our presence but that’s a necessary sacrifice. I’ll only let him out to play with everyone once C goes to bed.

Thanks all!!!! Fingers crossed the rest of the trip goes well and already can’t wait to get home so my dog can chillax and get back to our routine. 😄

@nafis4268 Your dog has given multiple indications that he is not comfortable, he is scared, his stress is heightened because of the leash, and he needs C to back off. Because his warnings have been ignored he is escalating his response. C and your dog cannot be around each other anymore, at all - C is clearly not able to follow directions to stay away from the dog, and you are not able to keep them apart when in the same room. Separate rooms until you leave, or cut your trip short.

I don’t want to be harsh, but you are your dog’s advocate; if you don’t stand up for him and make sure he feels safe, he is going to react exactly how he has been to protect himself. As soon as C started bothering your dog and didn’t listen to instructions to stop, you should have put your dog away. I’m sorry to say but it looks like an injuring bite is imminent, and you are going to be held liable.

@benstiller12 Agreed. This honestly sounds like hell for your dog and I appreciate that you’re trying to mediate or make your dog feel included but if C is around your dog is going to be much happier chilling in a different room.

@nafis4268 You need to stand up for your dog, before something bad happens. Your dog is telling you he’s extremely stressed out and feels very unsafe, because of this child, and you need to do something about it. This is not your dogs fault.
Imagine being tied up all the time, with a weird, small, loud, human who keeps teasing you, touching you, forcing you to do things, and just generally invading your space. You’d probably lunge and try to bite too.
I’m guessing you’ve told this child and her parents to stop the behaviour (you should’ve, at least) so if she’s not listening, it’s separate rooms at all times or cut your trip short.
You need to be your dogs voice because not everyone will listen.

@nafis4268 This happened with us, family visited with their 10 month old. First interaction was great until he legit punched her on the nose. We just ended up putting a baby gate up and keeping them separate, the baby is super hyper and all over the place and our dog is just not great with unpredictable movements. I wasn’t going to risk it and kept them separate for the week.

@nafis4268 Man, I think I’d be reactive around this child, too. I wouldn’t be ok with this behavior even without my dog. This sounds miserable. Please advocate for your dog or go stay elsewhere. Your dog is going to snap soon, and I really hate to see good dogs be set up for failure and then be blamed when they they finally lose their patience with some rude human child.

@nafis4268 It sucks that the kid can’t listen but as others have said, you need to be the one to do what’s best for everyone in this situation which means dog and kid should not be around each other at all. It’s good that you separated them after the first bite, but you absolutely should’ve kept them separated from that point on.

@nafis4268 X-pen. Keeps your dog with you but with a barrier. Any pet store should have one. I’d also put a kennel in the x-pen so that he can hide if he wants.

Find activities C can do that are acceptable when supervised, like give C your dog’s meal and have them toss the pieces in the x-pen for your dog to grab. Or do that with treats. No-contact interactions are ideal.

@nafis4268 You need to keep your dog away from C. This means crating or keeping him in a separate room when C is home. It sucks, but it’s temporary. Your dog is lunging and biting a child. Any more escalation will have severe consequences for your dog. Stop allowing your dog to be around C.

@nafis4268 Separate them with barriers, separate rooms if necessary. make sure the child does not go near the dog and if they do you need to be the one to body block and put your body between the dog and child showing your dog that you can protect them because your dog is Terrified. Other people mentioned X pens, gates work! Some thing sturdy where you don’t have to leash your dog but can safely keep an eye on him and make sure the child does not try to rile him and respects his boundaries.

@nafis4268 As others have said, the second the child started making the dog uncomfortable they needed to be kept in separate rooms. You allowed the child to continue making the dog uncomfortable and even allowed escalation.

If this is the kid's home, they don't have to be calm or chill or whatever to accommodate your dog. It's your job to advocate for your dog and mitigate the situation and keep all living things in the area safe.

it really sucks that it took two bites for you to take the need for total separation between this child and the dog seriously. You're not just playing with your dog's safety but also that of the child.

If your dog got the kids face when he lunged for it, that is a major life altering injury.

@nafis4268 Besides what is already mentioned/suggested, explain to C that they are bullying your dog and that’s why your dog is having reactions like it is having.

Fingers crossed you can work something out for the remainder of the stay but that is where I would start personally. Not fair on the dog to not be around when everyone is there and if C understand and wants to make things right then help them mend things with your dog and it becomes a training opportunity for both.

Hey everyone!!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts 😊 I have now edited the post with an update if you’re interested.

Back