Ultrasound was done today, and there is nothing there? I’m devastated

Context: Bitch turned 7 in January. I’ve known I wanted to breed her several years, but there’s never been the right time. For background, I’m 32. I got her when I was 25. Since coming into my life, I’ve been through grad school, two cross country moves alone, and a couple of high travel jobs. Not ideal environments for having a litter. So, I knew this heat cycle was my last shot.

Frozen semen I carried through the airport myself in the nitrogen cooler: $1400. A million daily progesterone testings. She was at 5.8 both 2/13 and 2/14. 2/15 we saw her shoot up to 17.8.
Bred via surgical AI on the 16th for $1000. Antibiotics via clavamox. Incision looked rough so we switched to baytril (enroflocacin). Dog has only been on 4 walks since surgery, bc I’m terrified.

Her activity level is normal (she seems out of breath more easily), but nipples look the same. Went off food last week, and now will only eat kibble if salmon or canned food is mixed in (this dog has never had a phantom pregnancy before, and she’s NEVER lost food drive. Ever.)

Ultrasound was this morning alone with the tech. Day 29. We saw nothing. She thought for a second she saw a singleton, but then said probably not.

I’m devastated. We did everything right. Additionally, I got laid off just before Christmas, and just finally started a new job this week after months of applying and interviewing. So this $3000+ I’ve spent, was all out of my savings I was also living on while laid off.
The tech (who I really like) had the audacity to say to me quote sometimes it’s just “not god’s plan”.
I’m sitting in a parking lot sobbing right now. Has anyone ever NOT seen anything at day 29, and then seen something later? Is it worth having relaxin tested from a blood draw? Is it worth going to a different vet for an ultrasound? I need someone to tell me to hold out a tiny bit of hope right now, or to tell me it’s time to finally let go. I would even be happy with a singleton.

@princessbychrist The thing is... Your dog is quite old for breeding. Depending on the breed, the kennel club would have discouraged or even forbidden breeding her. So it's not that surprising that she has difficulties breeding. Also, perhaps she is one of the unlucky ones who just have fertility issues even before being middle-aged.

@princessbychrist I've known bitches to have good sized, normal litters at 7 but not if it's their first one. My friend's bitch just had her third litter, just short of 8 years old.

But years ago I had a friend who also never had the right time to breed her very nice bitch. She needed one more QQ or one more Senior pass or something. And when she was finally 6 or so, they tried. After three devastating tries, she gave up.

I guess there's a chance there may be a puppy but I wouldn't put too much faith in that. Can you let us know in a few weeks if you got lucky or not?

I'm sorry it probably won't turn out as you wanted it to.

@princessbychrist In all honesty your dog is lucky. We would NEVER breed a bitch past 5 if she’s never had a littler. We RETIRE dogs from breeding at 7 and 8. That’s just very selfish and dangerous for your dog. If you love this dog do not try this again. It could kill her.

@princessbychrist Along with her age you also bred too early. When we do frozen breeding we do a TCI and typically not until the bitch is at least at 19 using IDEXX.
edit 29 days can be a bit early but heartbeats should have been seen. While I'm sure you think a singleton would make it all worth it let me tell you that's not the case. Singletons come with a mirage of issues. My girls have raised several singletons for reputable breeders because of the risks associated with a singleton. You could always wait and if she still seems bred around 58 days do an xray and look for pups then. Breeding isn't for the faint of heart and the tech was right sometimes its just not mother nature's plan.

@princessbychrist I'm sorry your vet did not dissuade you and let you sink a bunch of money in this endeavor. They should not be having their first litter at that age. If a bitch has had multiple smooth pregnancies, then 7 is more or less the end of the line. But for a first time, absolutely irresponsible. Mine are bred from age 2 (after their show career and necessary health testing) and retire at age 5. My breed's life expectancy is 12-15 years but I end it earlier so the ladies can enjoy being pets for the majority of their lives.

@april0485 I really need to know who told someone I bred my dog for money. Seriously. Where? Where did I say this? Is your understanding of the cost of raising a litter appropriately, that poor that you thought I’d make money? Do you think microchips, vaccines, exams, high quality puppy food is free? Plus having people from my dog club evaluate the litter with me? Plus my time. I guess you thought somehow I was going to go invest so little I was actually going to make money.

The entire purpose of this litter, was to keep my next sport dog from it. To keep a puppy, that I picked out at birth, from my dog, that I got to raise, and a litter that was environmentally and genetically sound.

In the name of god, what backyard breeder in the entire world have you EVER heard of going through all this? Ever? No one. I didn’t do this to be a breeder. I did this to get to keep one generation from my dog, who is my entire world, and one day nothing beyond her titles and memories will be left with me.

Also, I want to know what country you live in—it must be really cheap. If you’re able to do OFAs there, genetic testing, title a dog, pay for semen from an equally sound dog, ultrasound, everything else under the sun, and STILL make money. Seriously, you must live in the most cost effective country in the world! It’s definitely not that way in the US!

@princessbychrist ‘To have a piece of my dog live on’ is backyard breeder logic.

You breeding at the expense of the health of a 7 year old dog because you can’t hope that she will die someday does not better the breed. It is selfish, irresponsible, and unethical.

@princessbychrist you breeding a 7 year old dog thats past the age for breeding is common sense your doing it for money. a simple google search will let you know you risked your dogs life by breeding her that old. the pregnancy didn't work out because YOU BRED A SENIOR DOG! that makes u a backyard breeder, any responsible breeder wouldn't breed a dog that old. if the dog was 3-5 you'd be ethical. the fact your breeding a dog this old makes u irresponsible.

@liammansfield20 We palpate our bitches by hand, at exactly 4 weeks. For my breed, which is Siberian huskies, they are the size of golf balls and are pretty easily felt if you know what you’re looking for.

@lisanna I remembered feeling the puppies in my girl but I don't remember how far along. I think she was pretty far though because I was too scared to try feeling the puppies when she was early on. I only felt them by accident because the mommy wanted tummy rubs and I felt what seemed to be a head and later what I think was a foot. Really a magical moment :)