Trouble Potty Training My Foster Dog

konradpankoff

I have three dogs (ages/sex 8/F, 6/F, 5/F) we are now fostering an 11 month Female. Today is day 7. We’re starting to get frustrated with potty training. I feel like my other dogs potty trained relatively easy compared to the foster. Background, for 10.5 months the foster was kept 100% in a small kennel where she was forced to pee/poop in her kennel then sit/exist in her excrements.

She loves to go outside but it’s almost impossible to get her to use the bathroom. Currently we’ve been taking her out at least once per hour (usually every 30-40 minutes) for at least 15 minutes. Nothing. We made it almost 3 days with no accidents in the house but last night she peed and today she peed inside after pooping outside.

Around 4pm. She peed/pooped outside but now it’s 10:30 and we’ve gone out for at least 10 minutes any time she’s even walked around the house and nothing.

She’s still learning how to dog and she’s figuring a lot of stuff out (she’s even killing the crate training) but we seem to be stuck here.

@konradpankoff 15 minutes seem like a short time to start with. My rescue could take up to 45 minutes in the beginning, but is now doing it within a few minutes.

Try when going out with the foster to only stay in one place until she does the deed. It might be boring for you in the beginning, but hopefully it will teach that it is safe to do it there and with rewards might prefer that to indoors.

Also, remember to clean properly. I've heard vinegar should remove the smell of her pee. And maybe see if she pees on something specific. Mine only peed inside on mats so removing those worked including what I described above.

Back