Trouble deciding on crate for 1 year old lab mix (x-post /r/dogtraining)

37drvr

I've posted here about my dog before and wasn't really into the crate idea, but it's really my only hope for no destruction in the house. I keep seeing people recommending cheap wire crates which my dog would easily break and get out of. I need something that can contain a wild dog with separation anxiety. She's roughly 70lbs and very strong. I've looked at a few crates that claim to be heavy duty but then I read reviews about how dogs like mine got horribly injured or escaped and broke out of it. I'm having a hard time dropping 200-300 dollars on a crate if I'm not absolutely positive it can contain her safely.

Seen a few that have square holes instead of bars and I like the idea, but they all look/seem flimsy.

Anyone have a strong dog with separation anxiety and a crate you trust enough to recommend to me safely? It's hard to tell much of anything from just pictures online without actually seeing it in person. Looking for something in the 42" range so she has enough room to stretch her legs. At most she'll be contained for 6 hours, but most of the time it'll only be 2-4 hours.

Reading dog crate horror stories in reviews has me scared shitless of leaving her in on for any amount of time without being supervised. I did by a security camera so I can keep an eye on her while I'm gone, but I just want something durable that I'm not overly paranoid about.

Yes I realize I will need to train her for the crate, but I want the safety and security of it for those just in case instances.

Thanks in advance.

@37drvr A "wild dog with separation anxiety" is going to likely hurt itself in any crate, I agree. The ones with the small holes instead of bars still usually have grated fronts (where the dogs are going to try to get out anyway). Have you tried taking her to daycare or hiring a person to come in to your house instead, until you can work on the anxiety? (I know thats an expensive option, but its an idea).

Back