Trick of the Month - March 2021 - Shake Head 'No'

tiff_tiff

Welcome to the Trick of the Month!

This month we'll be teaching our dogs to shake their heads 'no' (side to side).

Here's how it works:
  1. Teach a dog the trick.
  2. Film the dog performing the trick.
  3. Upload a video/picture to the internet.
  4. Post a link to video or pictures of your results here in the comments.
Training Resources to get you started:

Text instructions showing a few different approaches

Video Instructions

Post any questions and results on this thread. Good luck and happy training!

@tiff_tiff
Trick of the Month - March 2021 - Shake Head 'No'

Someone I know taught his horse to "say" "yes" (nodding his nose toward chest) and "no" (shaking his head.)

The animal, unfortunately, grasped the concept of "no" meaning anything that he didn't like. Soon he was shaking his head at the bridle, the saddle, some aspect of terrain. It almost ruined him as a saddle horse.

So, be careful what you wish for...or train for. Make sure you know how to undo something.

@anaki247 That's very interesting. I'd be really interested if anyone has any resources on how to teach animals more abstract concepts like that. That's a little beyond the scope of this trick of the month, which is more training this as a silly movement that your dog does on command.

@tiff_tiff Right now, on tik tok especially, it’s becoming popular for dog owners to get word training buttons. Teaching the dogs to press the button that says a word so the dogs can communicate more efficiently. One account in particular, bunny the dog, is becoming increasingly more abstract in her demands. Heres an article! Bunny the dog

@tiff_tiff I know how to do it but I wouldn't give that info out. I taught a dog along those lines and other pro trainers said she was so smart it was scary...and, yes, it was.

Most people are simply not up to having an animal like that. It's also unfair to the animal.

In horses, we used to say that the worst color combination is green on green--green rider, green horse. An even worse combination is a smart animal with an inexperienced rider/handler.

Laika nods! I taught nodding no by luring her head side to side. It took a while for it to click for her that she needed to move her head to both sides, not just to the left, but she finally got it!

Back