Trick of the Month - February 2020 - Hugs

danny86

Hello and welcome to the Trick of the Month! For February, we'll be teaching our dogs how to give hugs! There are lots of variations for this trick, so this month have fun and make it your own!

Here's how it works:

1: Teach a dog the trick. Don't own a dog? Borrow your neighbors or grandmas dog, they'll be thrilled when you teach them cool things.

2: Film the dog performing the trick.

3: Upload video/picture.

4: Post link to video or pictures of your results here.

Training Resources:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Good luck and happy training!

@danny86 I've been trying hard to work up to this. My dog knows "pretty" but he's having a hard time balancing and holding it.

I wonder if it's because he's very small and he doesn't have a tail 😔

We're practicing and he's doing better, and can hold it forever if he has something to hold onto, but I'm afraid this one will take us much longer than usual 😅

@tigerryan That’s totally ok if it takes a little longer! Honestly it’s better if it takes longer and he develops good balance and core strength than it is to rush things and risk possible injury. I’m always super cautious when it comes to “pretty” 😁

@danny86 This so so cute! My dog hugs me, but it’s different than this. He puts one arm on each of my shoulders and squeezes his paws into my back while he tucks his head into my neck. It wasn’t a super intentional thing that we trained him, but we reinforced it with “good hugs/good hugging!” when he decided to do it as a puppy. Now we can ask for hugs and he’ll just do it!

@danny86 Used the peanut butter on a wooden spoon. The results are hilarious and adorable. First dog: ,"first i BITE THE ENTIRE SPOON?!"
2nd dog: "all this peanut butter must be applied to my face"
3rd dog: "DO ANYTHING FOR PEANUT BUTTER!"

I shouldn't be surprised that the one with three legs (missing a front leg) had the best balance of them all.