Training tips for getting my lab mix to ignore other dogs on walks

homeboy50

hey y’all. i have the sweetest 2 year old lab mix, who is SUPER friendly - no aggressions problems. however her friendliness causes her to want to run up to every dog we see while we’re on a walk. i love in a extremely dog friendly neighborhood in dc and anytime we walk we are destined to see other pups. she’s pretty decent with humans especially if you give her attention - i just want to know if anyone has any training tips for getting her to not run up to dogs. We’ve done leash pulling training and only breaks it when she’s a another dog and sorta receptive to treats.

any tips and advice on how we just get her to ignore the other dogs ? or steal at just be more chill about it ?!

@homeboy50 Carry high value treats and everytime they start to react distract them, don’t use a baby voice as that can teach them to only listen with it, use a “leave it” or “ignore” command before rewarding ONLY when the other dog has actually been ignored and passed. Hope this helps it’s how I trained my past dog aggressive dog

Back