Training suggestions for working with my partner’s leash-reactive dog?

micah1

Hey folks! My partner has a 6 y/o Boxer girl who is a bit leash-reactive toward other dogs/humans and has no history of bites or attacks. She’s generally cool with people and is very socialized with other dogs (my partner used to work at a doggy daycare, so she’s met every kind of dog and typically does really well with everyone), although she kind of loses her shit when we see other dogs on walks. She’s fine if she’s able to greet them and introduce herself normally without restrictions, but being leashed seems to get her a bit more high strung.

My partner has some experience in dog training and is able to handle her occasional reactivity very well, but it’s a bit newer to me and I find myself getting a bit flustered when I’m walking the dog by myself and she freaks out (barking, tugging at the leash and choking herself). I always have high-reward treats on me for reward/distraction purposes, but sometimes she gets so wound up that treats aren’t even a useful motivator (for a VERY food-motivated dog).

Do ya’ll have any tips for working on leash reactivity, especially with a dog who you did not train/raise? Her recall is great with her mom (my partner), but she doesn’t listen to me as much as I’d like and it makes me a bit nervous sometimes. I love this damn dog and I’d love for her to listen to/respect me the way she does with her momma, especially since my partner and I are moving in together within the next few months.

Thanks for any and all suggestions/tips!

@micah1 At first I’d say try and avoid her triggers. If you see one before she does, start giving her those treats or start walking the other direction (that’s just “management” which is sometimes the best you can do). If she’s to the point of being wound up (it’s called past her threshold), training is no longer an option and your best bet is to wait until the thing is out of sight or drag her away unfortunately. It’s not cute. Take care of your own nerves as well. To the best of your ability, avoid becoming leash reactive yourself. It sounds funny to say but the more familiar I got with my dogs triggers, the more those things caused anxiety for me on walks. Try walking her at times when it’s less likely she’ll see a trigger. If you can, spend some time at a safe distance from triggers where she can see them without reaching her threshold and give her those treats.

@micah1 I’ve posted in here about loading a marker word (similar to clicker training), and then using that word to reduce the “threshold distance” that my dog can tolerate when we’re out on a walk and another dog approaches. I went from having to be across the street to being able to be on the same sidewalk, in about two weeks.

The key (after the marker word is loaded) is to interrupt BEFORE they go over their stimulation threshold. Trying to interrupt after they’ve lost their shit is a pointless exercise.